BENEFITS OF THE PROGRAMME
- Fundamental training underpinned by practical tasks performed in research laboratories using cutting-edge equipment of the SPbU Research Park.
- An opportunity to join mega-science training projects at National Research Center ‘Kurchatov Institute’ and world’s leading research centres.
- Skills in conducting independent research, setting research tasks and developing methodological frameworks, profound knowledge in the area of specialization along with a broad scientific outlook and ability to apply this knowledge in interdisciplinary research.
- The programme combines fundamental training in condensed matter physics in mega-science facilities and bringing the students up-to-date with the recent advancements in physics, chemistry and materials science made in sectoral research institutions of St Petersburg, Moscow, Russia and major international research centres.
Students acquire a profound knowledge in the area of specialization along with a broad scientific outlook and ability to apply this knowledge in interdisciplinary research.
MAIN EDUCATIONAL COURSES
- Interaction of Neutron Radiation with Matter
- Interaction of Synchrotron (X-Ray) Radiation with Matter
- Physical Research in Mega-Science Facilities
- Quantum Mechanics in Solid-State Physics
- Crystal Sructures and Fourier Transforms
- Atomic Structure of Matter: Diffraction of Neutron and Synchrotron Radiation
- Atomic and Molecular Dynamics: Inelastic Scattering of Neutrons and Synchrotron Radiation
- Layered Structures, Polymers, and Colloids: Small-Angle Scattering and Reflectometry of Neutrons and Synchrotron Radiation
- Crystallography and Crystal Physics
- Electron and Probe Microscopy
Students can specialise in one of the following areas of condensed matter physics:
- Diffraction of Neutron and Synchrotron Radiation
- Small-Angle Scattering and Reflectometry of Neutrons and Synchrotron Radiation
- Spectroscopy of Neutrons and Synchrotron Radiation
- Solving research problems in the field of condensed matter physics; solving applied problems in accordance with the study profile
- Applying the fundamental branches of physics when solving research problems in the field of the study profile
- Setting up physics experiments with modern neutron reactors and synchrotron radiation sources
- Practical application of fundamental knowledge related to the physical phenomena underlying the methods of diffraction, small angle scattering and reflectometry
- Applying modern methods for the analysis of materials structure and properties, using neutrons and synchrotron radiation
Using software products and information databases for solving problems related to professional activities
PRACTICAL TRAINING AND CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Graduates are well-equipped to secure positions in research and production enterprises conducting R&D in the chosen professional niche. Graduates can enter academic or engineering careers or progress to postgraduate study.
Graduates are sought after for the development and operation of innovative scientific equipment in mega-science reserch facilities, e.g. sources of synchrotron radiation, free-electron lasers, research reactors and pulsed neutron sources; automated control and data collection systems in complex physical systems.
- R&D and its management in the filed of natural sciences, technical sciences and nanotechnology
- nondestructive testing
- computer simulation