Type of instruction
Duration of study
Areas of specialization: Russian Media Studies
Saint-Petersburg State University is launching a new Master programme in journalism titled ‘Russian Media Studies’. It is designed for international applicants who wish to understand the media landscape of the modern Russia, to acquire skills in research and comparative analysis of media, and to work as a reporter in Russia or about Russia.
Russia is an extremely challenging and absorbing object of study in communication science. For journalism scholars and researches, this country represents a chance to look not only at Russian context, but also on a macro-regional situation at the post-Soviet space. This region is interesting for a number of reasons: it is big, very diverse, and it demonstrates varying attitudes to the process of globalization. So that, the Russian Media Studies programme trains to know the nowadays’ Russia, to report this country, and to understand why Russian media have developed in certain ways throughout the country’s history.
This programme is unique because it links the Russian media system to world’s one. It teaches how to deal with Russia in communicative and journalistic terms. And it speaks about the context of today’s Russian media.
Professor Svetlana Bodrunova, programme founder.
- Media and Communication Theories
- Journalism in Global Context
- Russian Media Landscape
- Media Research Methods
- Media and the Public Sphere in Russia and Beyond
- Content and Editorial Management in Modern Journalism
- Russian History
- Comparative Media Studies
- Digital Content Production
- Introduction to Public Relations and Government Relations in Russia
- Media Lab in Online Media
- Environmental Journalism
- Gender Issues in Journalism
- Media and Diasporas
- New Media and Political Mobilization in Russia and Abroad
Internship is available at:
- Russia Beyond the Headlines
- BBDO group
- DRA e.V.
- St Petersburg Vedomosti
- Rossiyskaya Gazeta Publishing House
- Information Telegraph Agency of Russia (ITAR-TASS)
- SPN Communications LLC
- Planning the activities of a media company/a media company division
- Development of the concept, the model, and the format of a publication, a programme, or a column
- Journalistic skills: searching for and verification of information, creation and editing of media texts, communication with the audience
- Research into various aspects of the functioning of national and foreign media.
Upon the completion of the programme, graduates can work as journalists in foreign mass media covering news from Russia, Russian mass media with international coverage. They can land a job as an editor, PR specialist, digital content specialist, or media researcher.
Intrested in this programme — set up your personal account to proceed with your application.