Level of education: Master programme
Type of instruction: Full-time
Duration: 2 years
Language of instruction: Russian
Main academic courses
- Fundamentals of Signal Analysis and Processing
- Fundamentals of Programming
- Geophysical Equipment
- Geographical Information Systems in Geophysics
- Foreign language
- Scientific Management
- Evolution of the Earth
- Economics of Mineral Deposits
Special Courses in Seismic Prospecting Methods
- Seismic Prospecting
- Seismic Waves in Isotropic and Anisotropic Media
- Design and Quality Evaluation of Seismic Prospecting
- Seismic Data Processing
- Seismic Wave Migration
- Dynamic Analysis of Seismic Data
- Geological Interpretation of Seismic Data
Special Courses in Electrical Prospecting
- Magnetotelluric Sensing
- Controlled Source Electromagnetic Sensing
Special Courses in Potential Exploration Methods
- Potential Methods
- Geological Interpretation of Potential Field Data
Applied Courses (aimed at solving specific geological and geographical problems)
- Marine Geophysics
- Geophysical Well Logging
- Mining Geophysics
- Oil and Gas Geophysics
- Engineering Geophysics
- Integration of Geophysical Exploration Methods
- This programme is aimed at providing in-depth theoretical and practical training in all main geophysical exploration methods to solve oil and gas and mining problems using state-of-the-art software (Petrel Introduction, Paradigm geophysical software, Oasis montaj, RadExPro).
- Graduates of the programme acquire an advanced knowledge in electric engineering, programming (Matlab, Python), geographical information systems, and theory of signal analysis and processing.
- Our students have access to the cutting-edge equipment of the University’s resource centres and laboratories.
- The structure of our curriculum and each subject is clear-cut. This enables any student who used to major in disciplines like physics, maths and geology to develop a full understanding and an advanced knowledge of geophysical prospecting methods.
- Our students can get work experience in the leading research and production organisations.
- Special emphasis is given to training specialists for shelf development.
Practical training and career opportunities
Our graduates gain the capacity for
- scientific research in academic institutions, research institutes, and higher educational establishments
- research, development and production, for instance in oil producing companies
- management in state ecological control bodies, and in research, development and production companies of the oil industry
- project work in state and private project organisations
- expert work in state organisations and businesses
- academic work in establishments of higher, secondary and vocational education.
- research fellow
- university lecturer
- party chief
Areas of expertise
- electrical surveyor
- gravity scout
- magnetic surveyor
- reservoir geophysicist
- geophysical engineer
- seismic interpreter
Organisations where our graduates work
- organisations within the Ministry of Natural Resources and Ecology of the Russian Federation
- organisations within the Ministry of Energy of the Russian Federation
- organisations within the Russian Federation Ministry of Civil Defence and Emergency Response
- organisations within the Ministry of Construction, Housing and Utilities of the Russian Federation
- Gazpromneft Science and Technology Center, LLC
- Gazpromneft-Sakhalin, LLC
- Rosneft-Shelf-Arctic, LLC
- Rosneft Oil Company, PJSC
- the companies of the holding Rosgeo, JSC
- the companies of the holding Geotech, PJSC
- subsidiary enterprises of ALROSA, PJSC; Severstal, PJSC; Polymetal International PLC
- A.P. Karpinsky Russian Geological Research Institute (VSEGEI)
- All-Russian Scientific and Research Institute "VNIIOkeangeologia"
- Saint Petersburg Research and Survey Institute “Energoiziskanya”, JSC
- group of companies Tellur
- Marine Arctic Geological Expedition, PJSC
- Science and Production Enterprise “Air and Marine Electronics”, JSC
- Andreyev Acoustics Institute, JSC
- organisations within the Russian Academy of Sciences
- establishments of higher, secondary and vocational education
- small enterprises involved in geological-engineering prospecting, e.g. Seismic Data Analysis Centre MSU, LLC; Split, LLC; Geofizpoisk, LLC
- multinational corporations in the geophysical services sector including Petroleum Geo-Services; CGG; and Schlumberger.
Interested in this programme — set up your personal account to proceed with your application.