Level of education: Master programme
Type of instruction: Full-time
Duration: 2 years
Language of instruction: English, Russian
Main academic courses
- Urbanisation and Global development
- Urbanisation in Russia
- Current theories of urban development
- Management of urban development
- City planning
- Legal management of urban development
- Urban marketing
- Real estate cadastre and urban land use
- Urban social space: cultural and communication practices
- Urban political geography
- Environmental planning of urbanised territory
- The history of landscape architecture
- Smart city and urban development practices in Russia
- Design and modern city development
This programme is interdisciplinary. The majority of modern urban problems are too complicated to be solved by a sectoral specialist such as an economist, an architect, a lawyer, or a sociologist. These challenges can be effectively handled only by a specialist who has an interdisciplinary approach and a complex vision. They are capable to make decisions about the development of an urban system on different levels, taking into account all environmental and social risks and possibilities. These levels may include a real estate object, a neighbourhood, a city district, and city and urban agglomerations. The graduates will be able to carry out a complex analysis of urban territories aimed at finding key development areas and suggesting development prospects. They can also take part in strategic planning and implementation of urban development. This programme is aimed at the specialists capable to carry out urban processes assessment as well as urban planning and management of any scale. The students have an opportunity to take part in conferences, seminars and symposiums. These include: large annual geographic festivals; conferences arranged by Association of Russian human geographers; and seminars about the implementation of research grants.
English is the working language of several disciplines. This is one of the key factors that allows students to develop communicative and intercultural skills, and to take part in international conferences. Also, it allows students to take part in international academic exchange programmes available at institutions-partners of St Petersburg University.
This programme has been developed taking into account professional standards and the opinions of employers.
Practical training and career opportunities
The graduates can work as: research scientists, analytical experts, developers, and urban planners; as well as consultants in local authorities, and in transport, logistic and forwarding companies.
- St Petersburg City Authorities
- Leningrad Oblast' City Authorities
- Authorities of other Federal Entities
- 'Higher School of Economics' Research Institute
- Herzen University
- International Centre of Socio-Economic Research 'Leontiev Centre'
- Institute of Territorial Planning 'Urbanika'
- Ministry of Industry and Trade of Russian Federation
- Ministry of Economic Development of Russian Federation
- Russian Research Institute of Urbanism
- Fund of the Centre for Strategic Research 'North-West'
Interested in this programme — set up your personal account to proceed with your application.