Level of education: Master programme
Type of instruction: Full-time
Duration: 2 years
Language of instruction: Russian
Main academic courses
- Social and Local Variability of English
- Fundamental Notions of Rhetoric and Discourse
- Mass Media Discourse Variability and Advertising Discourse
- Discourse and Language Stereotypes
- Gender Variability of English
- History of English Dialects
- Social-Linguistic Language Theories and Linguo-culturology: Stages of Development
- Acquisition of the social variability of the English language, in particular with class sociolects, gender stereotypes, and language manifestations;
- The study of dialect features and linguistic and cultural identity of areal linguistic groups;
- Acquisition of the linguistic manifestations of ethnic variants within the British English language: Irish, Scottish, as well as multiculturalism;
- Study of general and particular issues of discourse variability including reflection of discourse in translation;
- The interdisciplinary nature of training is manifested in the combination of speciality courses and unique elective courses. These deepen and expand the linguistic and cultural horizons of students both in synchrony and in diachrony;
- Formation of graduates' deep knowledge of various practical aspects of the English language, interpreting, translation, and academic writing skills;
- The programme develops the knowledge aggregate about social, territorial and contextual variability. This enables graduates to adequately position themselves and their interlocutors in the communicative space. It ensures career growth in any professional field that requires language and intercultural interaction: in business, politics, education, science, tourism, translation and teaching.
Training involves the passing of research and translation practice.
The programme is aimed at training linguists who are ready for the following activities: professional and practical; scientific and methodological; research; and organization and management. Future employment can be connected with research of the problems of English studies, sociolinguistic variability of the English language, the theory of discourse, as well as the practice of discourse types.
Graduates of the programme are ready for research and teaching activities, administrative work, and can work as highly qualified translators and interpreters.
Organisations where our graduates work
- St Petersburg University and Universities of Saint Petersburg
- Research Institutes of RAS
- Scientific Departments of Libraries
Interested in this programme — set up your personal account to proceed with your application.