Level of education: Bachelor programmes
Type of instruction: Full-time
Duration: 4 years
Language of instruction: Russian
Main academic courses
- Practical Latvian
- History and Geography of the Baltic States
- Introduction to Baltic Philology
- Comparative and Historical Grammar of the Baltic languages
- Dialectology of the Latvian language
- History of the Latvian language
- Theoretical Grammar of the Latvian Language
- History of Latvian Literature and Folklore
- Old Prussian
- Special Courses
- Modern Russian (Phonetics, Lexicology, Morphology, Syntax)
- Old Church Slavonic
- The tradition of studying the Baltic languages at St Petersburg University has been ongoing for more than a hundred years. The curriculum of the bachelor's degree programme of Latvian includes all the necessary disciplines. In addition, students master the basic disciplines of Russian studies and pass a state exam in the Russian language.
- Graduates of the department can continue their scientific studies in the Baltic master's degree programme "Languages of the Baltic States".
Graduates of the programme are characterised by
- Fluency in two or more foreign languages
- Interpreting and translation skills, cross-cultural communication skills and in-depth knowledge of the history and culture of the target language countries
- Knowledge of various methods of linguistic analysis, methodological foundations of teaching foreign languages, and skills of research work in linguistic areas.
- Research fellow
- University lecturer
- School teacher of Russian language and literature
Organisations where our graduates work
- Institute for Linguistic Studies, RAS
- The National Library of Russia
- Translation Agency "Eurasia"
Interested in this programme — set up your personal account to proceed with your application.