Lecturers of the Institute of Earth Sciences of the St. Petersburg State University will enable students to get the complex of knowledge necessary for active participation in the development of mineral resources of the World Ocean.
The uniqueness of the program lies in the multidisciplinary approach to the training of students to new competencies related to the study and development of offshore mineral deposits. Given the need for a balanced approach to the development of underwater minerals with minimizing environmental impact, students will gain knowledge not only in marine geology, but also in marine ecosystems. The same applies to the sections of the programs on marine technology, maritime law and economic of marine exploration and exploitation. Despite the relevance of specialists in this new industry, there are no similar in the Russian and foreign educational programs.
Recently (since the 2000s), marine mining has been intensively developing all over the world, aimed at exploration and subsequent exploitation of minerals, both within the exclusive economic zones of coastal states and in the International Seabed Area.
The mission of the program is to fill the knowledge gaps in marine geology and in other related fields of science. There is a sharp shortage of qualified personnel able to correctly formulate a strategy for carrying out work on different types of marine minerals, to select the necessary methods, to conduct work and to process the data. In addition to geological knowledge, the program should expand the knowledge of graduates in the field of modern sea technology, marine ecology and oceanology, international maritime law and the world economy of mineral raw materials for getting the widest possible range of knowledge related to the exploration and exploitation of marine minerals - the last mineral reserve of mankind within our planet.
Main modules of the program
- basic notions of marine geology
- basics of oceanography and marine ecology
- basics of marine magmatism, tectonics, sedimentation, and metallogeny
- basic methods and technologies of marine geological and geophysical studies
- types of marine minerals
- methods of marine mineral resources development and processing
- basics of legal regulation of works in the international seabed area
Upon the completion of the study program a student should be able to:
- make sense of basic notions of oceanography, marine geology and ecology
- apply the knowledge obtained when participating at all types of marine geological exploration works
- actively participate in shipborne geological works and understand the other types of marine fieldworks
- suggest effective methods of field data processing
- analyze the data, summarize them, prepare the reports
- present the results in both presentations and publications
Dr. Georgy Cherkashov
Professor of the Institute of the Earth Sciences, member of the Legal and Technical Commission of the international Seabed Authority
Dr. German Leichenkov, Professor of the Institute of the Earth Sciences
Dr. Alexey Piskarev, Professor of the Institute of the Earth Sciences
Dr. Vladislav Kuznetsov, Professor of the Institute of the Earth Sciences
Dr. Victor Ionov, Ass. Professor of the Institute of the Earth Sciences
Dr. Alexey Krylov, Ass. Professor of the Institute of the Earth Sciences
Dr. Andrey Chernykh, Ass. Professor of the Institute of the Earth Sciences
Dr. Ivan Alekseev, Ass. Professor of the Institute of the Earth Sciences
Form of training: Full-time, maybe a combination of full-time and distance learning
Period of implementation: October to May (specific terms of training are agreed), duration – from 2 weeks.
Cost of education in 2020/2021: 180 000 rubles