Level of education: Master programme
Type of instruction: Full-time
Duration: 2 years
Language of instruction: English
The International Trading System MA programme was developed in 2004 with the academic support of the Center for Trade policy and Law (Ottawa, Canada). The programme is targeted at public and private sector trade professionals – people engaged in economics, finance, law. The programme is developed for students who have a specific interest in trade policy development and those who practice actively in international trade, investments and finance.
Its goal is to train highly qualified experts in international trade and trade policy analysis. To achieve this goal, the team involved in the programme development introduced unique academic modules. The World Economy department organizes open lectures of high-ranked policy-makers and representatives of international economic organizations, think tanks, and independent experts on a regular basis. The team members participate in various skills training programmes in Russia and abroad.
The goal of the programme is to train highly qualified experts in international trade and trade policy analysis.
The programme is targeted at public and private sector trade professionals – people engaged in economics, finance, law, those who practice actively in international trade, investments and finance, and those who have a specific interest in trade policy development
- be ready to independently acquire new knowledge and skills with the use of information technologies;
- be able to develop effective strategies for economic agents’ behavior, taking into account the competitive situation in various markets, including international ones, in a rapidly changing institutional environment and technological developments;
- be able to develop solutions and assess their efficiency taking into consideration conditions of uncertainty and risk, to prepare regulatory and methodological documents, proposals and to implement designed programmes into practice;
- provide expertise for decision makers at strategic level by using instrumental tools in the field of financial, economic and social policy, including inter alia, databases and various internet sources;
- acquire new research methods based upon main principles of international economic law and pursue complex interdisciplinary applied research of external economic activity.
Entering Research and Professional Community
Students can follow internships in:
- International economic organisations
- National/sub-national regulators in charge of trade policy
- Strategic departments of big companies, financial institutions
- Consulting companies
- Think tanks and universities
Key Features of the Programme
- Teaching staff: world class teachers and practitioners; students have an opportunity to participate in open lectures of high-ranked policy-makers and representatives of international economic organizations, think tanks, and independent experts.
- International learning environment: over the years, students from Germany, the USA, Canada, Columbia, China, India, Pakistan, and other countries participated in the programme.
- Study tour: during the study process students have an opportunity to visit international economic organizations based in Geneva, and get additional knowledge and skills in trade policy issues.
- Employment: students have an opportunity to combine the study process with employment.
- Career opportunities: Graduates of the programme have great career opportunities. They are employed by private sector organizations, as well as national/sub-national bodies in charge of trade policy, consulting companies, think tanks and universities.
The programme offers the following relevant and engaging courses:
- Research Methods
- Theory and Practice of International Economic Relations
- Commercial Diplomacy
- Legal Aspects of International Trade Regulation
- Theories of International Relations and Foreign Policy Analysis
- Research seminars: International Trading System, Countries in the WTO System, The European Union in the International Trading System
Programme Academic Council:
PhD in Economics, Head of Section, Institute for Training and Technical Cooperation, World Trade Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Director General, Assistance in Insurance LLC, St. Petersburg, Russia
PhD in Economics, Investment Consultant, Institute of Management, Innovation and Business Analysis, St. Petersburg, Russia
Deputy General Director for Commercial Affairs, JSC Severnaya Zorya Research and Production Complex, St. Petersburg, Russia
Senior Counsel, Advisory center for the WTO law, Geneva, Switzerland
PhD in Economics, Senior Research Fellow, the Institute of Economics, Russian Academy of Science, Moscow, Russia
Senior Counsel, Market access division, World Trade Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Professors of the programme are world renowned scientists and experienced lecturers:
Prof. Sergei Sutyrin – Distinguished Professor of Higher Education
Professor Elena Efimova, Associate Professor Olga Trofimenko received gratitude from the Ministry of Education and Science.
Professor Alexander Pogorletsky, Associate Professor Irina Vorobieva, Associate Professor Vladinir Sherov-Ignative, Associate Professor Liudmila Popova received certificates of honor from the Ministry of Education and Science.
An opportunity to visit complementary programmes of partner universities on special conditions.
- Application procedure
- Required documents
- Competitive Portfolio documents for International Trading System programme (applying on a fee-paying basis)
- Competitive Portfolio documents for International Trading System programme (applying for Russian Government Scholarship)
Information about the tuition fees for SPbU study programmes can be found here.