Level of education: Master programme
Type of instruction: Full-time
Duration: 2 years
Language of instruction: English, Russian
- Uniqueness: it is the only master’s programme in Russian higher education institutions that trains highly qualified international specialists who are experts in the countries of the Western Hemisphere.
- Diversity: the programme focuses on both the study of the entire western hemisphere and the comprehensive study of particular countries and regions including Canada, the USA and countries of Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Quality: there are the foremost Russian experts in foreign and domestic policy research into the USA, Canada, Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Inclusion: master’s students have the opportunity to take part in academic and expert activities together with their lectures, and to participate in various international cooperation programmes.
- Opportunities: the programme lays the foundation for a successful professional career or further education in areas related to the countries of the Western Hemisphere. Graduates of the programme are always in demand because of: the general significance of some countries of the Western Hemisphere for world politics; and the intensive development of our country's contacts with many countries of Latin America and the Caribbean
Main academic courses
- Foreign Policy Strategy and Decision Making in the United States of America and Canada
- Western Hemisphere in Systems of International Relations: Late 15th – Early 21st Centuries
- Integration Processes in Western Hemisphere
- Political Systems and Institutes in Latin America: Comparative Analysis
- Issues in Relations Between Russia and Countries in Western Hemisphere
- Uniqueness: it is the only master's programme at universities of the Russian Federation that trains highly qualified specialists in international relations who are experts in the issues of the Western hemisphere.
- Diversity: the programme focuses both on the study of the entire Western hemisphere and on a comprehensive study of individual countries and regions: Canada, the USA and Latin America, and the Caribbean.
- Quality: the programme employs truly the best Russian experts in research into foreign and domestic policy in the USA, Canada, Latin America, and the Caribbean.
- Involvement: master’s students have the opportunity to take part in research and expert activities together with their teachers, and to participate in various programmes of international cooperation.
- Prospects: the programme provides training that establishes a framework for a successful professional career or for continuing their education in areas related to Western hemisphere countries. Graduates of the programme are always in demand, on the one hand, due to the general importance of a number of Western hemisphere countries for world policy, and on the other, due to the intensive development of our country's contacts with many countries of Latin America and the Caribbean.
- The Université de Montréal (Canada)
- George Mason University (USA)
- Virginia State University (USA)
- The Free University of Berlin, the John F. Kennedy Institute for North American Studies (Germany)
Main areas of research
- US policy in the post-Soviet space
- US foreign, foreign economic, military policy: directions, methods, and ideological foundations
- The Western hemisphere in the contemporary global order
- Russia-Latin America relations
- Prospects for the development of trade contacts between Brazil and St Petersburg
- Regions in international relations
- The role of the Russian diaspora in US political life
- Russia-United States relations
- Russia-Canada relations
- Contemporary Arctic policy of Canada
Graduates of the programme can work in state and international institutions, non-governmental organisations, commercial companies and enterprises whose activity is connected with the Western Hemisphere and international relations and contacts in general.
The activities of graduates can be associated with the collection and systematisation of information, expert assessments, and the writing of academic and popular science texts. Graduates can also carry out organisational, communicative, coordinating, managerial, academic and teaching activities.
Interested in this programme — set up your personal account to proceed with your application.