Level of education: Master programme
Type of instruction: Full-time
Duration: 2 years
Language of instruction: Russian
Main academic courses
- Legal Aspects of Professional Activity
- Architecture and Art in the 20th and 21st Centuries
- Foreign Language
- Communicative Competence of the Designer
- Computer Technology in Design
- Creative Technology in Design
- Multimedia Technology
- Planning in Graphic Design
- Current Issues in Design
- Theory and Methods of Design Project Development
- Visualisation Technologies of Animation Projects
- During training, the students not only acquire practical skills in the field of their future speciality but also obtain a fundamental university education;
- The goal of this competence-oriented training programme is to prepare graphic designers who have a wide profile. They will also be specialists in: the creation of projects of replicated products of graphics; and the development of integrated systems of graphics, web design, and multimedia design;
- The teaching staff are the leading St Petersburg artists and specialists in the field of design graphics. They are members of: the Union of Artists and the Union of Designers of Russia; AIS (International Association of Art Historians); and other Russian and international associations;
- The Department of Design conducts active exhibitions, educational and project activities in cooperation with The State Russian Museum, The Museum of History of the City, the St Petersburg Charity Fund of Culture and Art ‘ProArte’, and Bulthaup design gallery;
- The students and graduates from the programme have repeatedly become prize-winners and winners of international and national exhibitions in the field of design (All-Russian Biennale of design "Modulor"; International Biennale of graphic design "Golden bee"; International Biennale of design in Maribor, Slovenia; St. Petersburg: Grand Prix, Gold and Silver diplomas; Moscow: Design Week in Moscow);
- The students' and graduates' works have been published in the international Russian editions: catalogues of Biennale of design ‘Modulor’; ‘Golden bee’; magazines ‘As’, ‘Projector’; ‘Wallpaper’ (London, Great Britain); international collection ‘The: output student award’; and ‘Best student works of Europe on graphic design’ (the Netherlands, Amsterdam);
- During the training, students have the opportunity to compete for internships at partner universities of St Petersburg University, including the Institute of Arts, Design and Architecture of Aalto University (Helsinki);
- The professional and creative demand for graduates includes: employment in the leading design schools in Europe, including the St Martin Central College of Art and Design (London, UK); participation in international projects; development and maintenance of new Internet resources for designers (tutdesign.ru – design blog, GoDesigner.ru – Internet service for designers and customers); employment in publishing houses (‘First page’, ‘Detgiz’, ‘ABC’, ‘Clover’); IT-companies (Yandex); foreign and Russian design studios and agencies (Partner, Logomotiv, Asgard); and public authorities (Committee on Urban Planning and Architecture of St. Petersburg);
- Within the framework of educational, scientific and creative activities the programme cooperates with the following creative organisations and museums: Union of Artists of Russia; Union of Designers of Russia; St Petersburg charity Fund of Culture and Art ‘Pro Arte’; design gallery Bulthaup; gallery ‘Square’; the Russian Museum; the State Hermitage Museum; Moscow Museum of Modern Art (MOMA); Museum of Modern Art ‘Erarta’; State Museum of History of St Petersburg; Uppsala Circus; and Bolshoi St Petersburg State Circus.
Practical training and career opportunities
Training involves research practice, during which the undergraduates conduct project research on their thesis topic and get acquainted with the activities of leading organisations within the programme profile.
The graduates from the programme are prepared for successful professional activity in: publishing houses and printing firms; advertising agencies and PR-companies; in the field of mass media; in design and architectural bureaus; and in public authorities.
Interested in this programme — set up your personal account to proceed with your application.