Level of education: Master programme
Type of instruction: Full-time
Duration: 2 years
Language of instruction: Russian
Main academic courses
- Middle East Economies
- Principles of Islamic and Russian Law
- Islamic Manuscript Tradition in Sub-Saharan Africa and the African Diaspora
- Islam and Politics in the Post-Soviet Space
- Anthropology of Law
- Islamic Mass Media in the Near East and in Russia: History, Perspective, Ideology
- Islam: A Universe of Ideas
- History of the Expansion of Islam in East and South Africa
- Religion and Philosophy in Asia and Africa: The Middle East
- Islamic Corporation and Corporate Governance
- The Muslim East in Russian Orientalism: The Rise and Evolution of the Discourse
- The master's programme ‘Islamic Studies’ is aimed at developing in students a holistic understanding of Islam as an ideology based on a set of knowledge of: history; dogma; cult; philosophy; material and spiritual culture; ethics; law; the economic system; modern socio-political development; regional and ethnic differences; and modern reform trends. They also study in depth classical and modern literary Arabic.
- The programme trains qualified experts with the necessary professional skills, including cultural and linguistic ones in line with the programme specific features. They will be ready to carry out expert, analytical, research, educational, teaching, organisational and managerial activities in the field of language, history and the culture of Islam. These include the activities aimed at preventing the spread of extremist ideology.
- Graduates will be able to promote: the strengthening of Russian identity; preservation and development of the ethnocultural and religious diversity of the peoples of Russia; and the civic culture of communication.
Scope of research
- Religious trends in Islam
- Main sources of faith and law
- Islam in the historical perspective
- Islamic art
- Islam in Russia and worldwide
Internship and future career
- State Hermitage Museum
- Oriental Manuscripts Institute, the Russian Academy of Sciences
- Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography (Kunstkammer)
The graduates are trained to work as experts, consultants in the chosen professional field, translators and interpreters from the appropriate language at state and municipal government bodies of the Russian Federation, public and non-governmental organisations, research and educational institutions, the media, international organisations and companies.
Companies where our graduates work
- State companies, transnational corporations, media, Gazprom, etc.
- International organisations: UN, International Red Cross, etc.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation and other bodies of state power
- Russian and foreign universities and research organisations: St. Petersburg University, Moscow State University, RAS
- The State Hermitage and other museums
Interested in this programme — set up your personal account to proceed with your application.