Level of education: Master programme
Type of instruction: Full-time
Duration: 2 years
Language of instruction: Russian
Main academic courses
- Theory and Practice of Editing
- History of Russian Writing
- Linguistic Analysis of Text
- Historical and Stylistics Comment on Various Genre Texts: Pragmatic Aspect
- Copyright Law in Russia
- Academic Knowledge in Multimedia Environment
- Literary Criticism: Genres and Poetics
- Russian Readers and Reading in the 18th–19th Centuries
- The Relationship of Power and Literature in Russia in the 18th–20th Centuries
- Illustrated Russian Periodicals in the 18th–20th Centuries
- In the Shadow of ‘Great Names’: Non-Classical Writers of the Second Half of the 19th Century
- Modern Russian Literature
- Totalitarian Aesthetics and Its Transformations: Soviet and Post-Soviet Times
- Theory and Practice of Scholarly Commentary
- The programme is unique in that it provides a balanced combination of theoretical courses in stylistics, editing, linguistics, criticism, journalism, the history of literature with research practice and internship (editing practice).
- Students have the opportunity to get acquainted with the latest approaches to studying the school of literary criticism and be involved in the literary life of St Petersburg (workshops by contemporary writers and critics).
- Students master the skills of creating, editing, abstracting and systematising all types of business documentation, media texts, and analytical reviews.
- Students acquire skills in developing scientific, social, educational, creative, advertising, publishing and other projects.
- Students have the opportunity to take part in: the annual scientific conference of students of Philology, held at St Petersburg University; scientific conferences of other universities; and exchange programmes with foreign universities.
- The University of Barcelona
- The University of Trier
- The University of Helsinki
Main areas of research
- The history of publishing literary and art texts
- Historical and literary commenting on various genre texts
- Structural and stylistic analysis of literary and art texts of various genres
- Language personality of the author
- Structural and stylistic analysis of media texts of various genres
- Linguistic and stylistic analysis of texts of the latest genres of Internet communication
- Discourse analysis of texts
The training process includes research practice (preparation and writing of a master's thesis) and internship (editorial practice). During their internship the students discover the types of activities of publishing houses and work as text editors.
Interested in this programme — set up your personal account to proceed with your application.