Level of education: Master programme
Type of instruction: Full-time
Duration: 2 years
Language of instruction: English, Russian
Main academic courses
Theoretical courses in ocean dynamics and ecology
- Geophysical hydrodynamic
- Inertial gravity and gradient wave-vortex in the ocean
- Hydrodynamic modelling of sea basins
- Modelling of substance turnover in marine ecosystems
- Vorticity and vortex substance transport in the ocean
Hydrometeorological databases and statistical analysis
- Databases and visualisation of hydrophysical and biotic fields
- Programming and quantitative methods in oceanology
- Statistical hydrometeorology
- Physical oceanography of the seas surrounding Russia
- Water masses and frontal zones of the World ocean
- Climatic variability of wind waves
- Ocean, atmosphere and ice cover interaction
- Dangers and catastrophes in the World ocean
Commercial oceanology (fishery)
- State assessment and monitoring of the rational use of fishing resources
- Satellite monitoring of the state of the marine environment
- Physico-biological bonds in the ocean
- Anthropogenic pollution of oceans and seas
- Dynamics and ecology of floor sediments
- This programme has been designed taking into account the requirements of potential employers and the professional skills and competences of graduate oceanologists. It provides an in-depth specialisation for bachelor students from different departments including: oceanologists, hydrologists, meteorologists, climatologists, geographers, geomorphologists, hydrobiologists, ecologists, mathematicians, physicists, and IT specialists.
- This programme is aimed at the complex study of the oceans and seas against the backdrop of current climatic changes, growing anthropogenic impact, and economic crisis. It is designed to train specialists capable of finding solutions to a large spectrum of academic and practical problems in the study and use of the World ocean resources. This includes their current state and the potential negative changes of the marine environment due to human activities.
- The programme allows students to get professional and research skills in the study of the oceans on the basis of diverse contact and satellite analysis of hydrometeorological and biotic information. This includes mathematical modelling of the oceans’ physical, chemical and biological processes on a grand space-time scale.
- The main feature of the programme is: the study of well-developed methods of physico-statistical analysis and forecasting of hydrometeorological processes; and identification of the zones of great biological and commercial productivity of sea basins. It also includes mathematical modelling of the fields of hydrophysical and chemical and biological processes and the study of their time-space changeability mechanisms
- The programme offers a personalised curriculum with a great variety of optional courses. It provides training that uses cutting-edge scientific equipment of the University resource centre, as well as training in Russian and foreign academic institutions. The University collaborates with: academic institutions and research centres of Russia and other countries; and commercial organisations that work in the field of engineering, hydrometeorological and ecological study of the seas and oceans, providing scientific support for fisheries and the development of aquacultures.
- Students have field training and take part in research expeditions in different parts of the world ocean, including the Arctic and the Southern oceans. Students have an opportunity to take part in academic exchange programmes and internships in foreign educational institutions – partners.
Practical training and career opportunities
The main speciality of the graduates is a career as an oceanologist.
- Research Institutes of Russian Academy of Sciences
- Research institutes and regional branches of Federal Hydrometeorological and Environmental Monitoring Service (Roshydromet)
- Research institutes of Federal Fishery Agency
- Commercial Fishery and Engineering companies
- Organisations of Ministry of Natural Resources and Ecology of Russian Federation
- Design institutes and organisations involved in coastal protection, building ports, sea canals, dams, sea platforms and pipelines
Interested in this programme — set up your personal account to proceed with your application.