Level of education: Master programme
Type of instruction: Full-time
Duration: 2 years
Language of instruction: Russian
- Translation and interpreting in various subject areas
Main academic courses
- Current Issues in Modern Translatology
- Introduction to Theory of Interpreting
- History of Linguistics and Methods of Linguistic Research
- Fundamentals of Contrastive Linguistics
- Translation in Various Fields (Economics, Politics, Law, Medicine)
- Listening Comprehension and Translation of Media
- Public Speaking and Translation
- Stylistic Analysis of Original and Translated Text
- Translation (from German into Russian and from Russian into German)
- Literary Translation
- Different Types of Interpreting (Consecutive, Liaison, Simultaneous)
- Modern (Computer) Methods of Translation
- Translation Practicum
- This programme, on the one hand, supports the continuity of traditions in the teaching of translation disciplines. On the other hand, it uses the cutting-edge teaching methods and technical means and provides an in-depth study of a wide range of translation and interpreting activities that are in demand in the modern market of translation services.
- The programme has been designed taking into account the experience of leading European German-speaking institutes and universities involved in the training of translator and interpreters, such as: the University of Vienna; the University of Graz; Heidelberg University; Sprachen & Dolmetscher Institut München; and others.
- The programme is unique in that it has no analogues in training programmes for universal translators/interpreters with knowledge of German in St Petersburg and the Northwestern region of the Russian Federation, who are in demand on the translation services market.
- Highly qualified teaching staff for various types of translation and interpreting mainly consist of practicing translators/interpreters.
- The programme is taught in two working languages: German (mainly) and Russian (as a translation pair language German – Russian – German.
- The advanced level of training and implementation of the programme provides international mobility and academic recognition of the high professional competences of students in Germany and other German-speaking countries.
- Close partnerships with leading translator training centres in Germany and Austria provide students with a unique opportunity to take part: in international academic mobility programmes as part of St Petersburg University inter-university agreements; and in the scholarship programmes of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). As a result, graduates will be in demand in the labour market.
- Extensive contacts with employers provide efficient internships and consulting support for graduation projects in: leading language and cultural centres of Germany; joint Russian–German enterprises; and translation departments of Russian companies.
- Advanced technologies and teaching methods are used in the training process; the achievements of Russian and German teaching methods and didactics in higher education are taken into account.
- German visiting lecturers and professors are involved in the programme implementation. International relations
- BDÜ (Federal Association of Interpreters and Translators of Germany)
- Sprachen & Dolmetscher Institut München
Main areas of research
- Analysis of existing translations of literary works
- Features of the main types of translation activities
- Features of the translation of texts from various functional and style systems: media, advertising, scientific texts, and others
- Comparative study of linguistic phenomena at different levels based on German and Russian, as well as English
- Key strategies and techniques for translation and interpreting
- Modern innovative translation methods
Training involves research and translation practice, for example, in the format of volunteer activities in such organisations as:
- Collective of Charity Organisations "Perspectives"
- Goethe German Cultural Centre in St Petersburg
- PJSC Kirovsky Zavod
- Social Translation Centre of St Petersburg University
- Representative office of the state-owned economic development agency NRW.INVEST in St Petersburg
- Chambers of Commerce
- The Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung e.V. (KAS; Konrad Adenauer Foundation)
- The Friedrich Naumann Foundation for Freedom
- The German Russian Meeting Centre drb
- The Petersburg Dialogue
- Interpreter in international organisations and institutions
- Adviser-interpreter in the translation department of companies
- Consultant with knowledge of foreign languages
- Tour guide and interpreter
- Translator in editorial office or publishing house
- Teacher of translation disciplines in universities
- Freelance interpreter and translator
Interested in this programme — set up your personal account to proceed with your application.