Level of education: Master programme
Type of instruction: Full-time
Duration: 2 years
Language of instruction: Russian
Main academic courses
- Modern and Traditional Education Systems in Asia and Africa
- Major European Centres for South-East Asia Regional Studies
- Eurasian Integration in the Early 21st Century
- Cultural Anthropology
- Philosophy of History
- History of Early Christianity
- Sources of the Middle and New Kingdom
- Archaeological Methods in the Study of Asian and African Civilisations
- Concepts of Modern Historical Studies
- Power and Society in the Traditional Cultures of East and Southeast Asia
- Concepts of Modern Society
- Modern and Traditional Education Systems in Oriental Countries
- The master’s programme ‘Asian and African History (with Asian/African language tuition)’ is aimed at developing in students a holistic understanding of the evolution of human society and its features in relation to African-Asian countries and peoples. Students also study in depth one or more Asian/African languages.
- The programme provides students with an opportunity to: expand their scope of historical knowledge; and develop the background for comparative historical analysis and a systematic integrated approach to the study of the historical process. It will make it possible for graduates to use their knowledge and skills in the analysis of the current socio-economic and political situation. They will also predict the development vector of Asian/African peoples and countries.
- Practical and theoretical courses are taught by leading orientalists of St Petersburg University, among whom there are native speakers of Asian/African languages.
- Fundamental language and theoretical training contribute to quality education.
- Practical training and internship take place in top academic institutions of St Petersburg, including: the State Museum of the History of Religion; and the Institute of Oriental Manuscripts of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
- Close relations with employers make it possible for graduates to quickly find jobs in their degree field.
Main areas of research
- History of Asian and African countries
- The sphere of interaction with Asian/African countries and peoples
- Russian, regional and international organisations interacting with Asian/African countries and peoples
The programme involves the following practical training
- Academic teaching practice
- Student research training
- Teacher of additional education for children and adults
- Teacher of professional training, vocational education, and lifelong professional education and training
- Expert in education
- Museum curator
- Specialist in organisational and document support for corporate management
- Media correspondent
- Media editor
Interested in this programme — set up your personal account to proceed with your application.