Level of education: Master’s programme
Type of instruction: Full-time
Duration: 2 years
Language of instruction: Russian
Main academic courses
- Research Journalism as a Field of Expertise
- Research Political Journalism
- Intercultural Communications
- Research Journalism in Culture
- Investigative Journalism Technologies
- Research Journalism on the Internet
- Psychology of Research Journalism
- Historical Research in Journalism
- Leisure Journalism
- Popular Science Journalism
- The programme provides fundamental training for highly qualified specialists in journalism, capable of conducting research and investigative activities in the mass media and other media. For those who have an undergraduate degree in journalism, the programme provides an opportunity to: improve their qualifications; deepen their professional knowledge and skills; and acquire specialisation that is in demand in the labour market. For those who have an undergraduate degree in other fields, the programme provides an opportunity to use their special knowledge and work experience in analytical journalism.
- The programme is of an interdisciplinary nature and focuses on the following areas of knowledge and professional activity: political science; sociology; psychology; jurisprudence; cultural studies; design; history; and social communications. The variety of subject areas and technologies opens up a wide choice for students to: meet their intellectual needs; actualise their personal abilities and professional self-determination; and further self-develop.
- The programme is unique and has no analogues in higher educational practice.
- During the training, master’s students are involved in research and professional-practical projects implemented at the departments of St Petersburg University and in the media in cooperation with Russian and foreign partners.
- Professional activity sites: a student training press centre; the 1st Line informational and educational portal; the Training newspaper; St Petersburg University Media Centre; and international competitions such as Mass Media Perspective and PolitPRpro.
- The Free University of Berlin (Germany)
- TU Dortmund University (Germany)
- Volda University College (Norway)
- Beijing International Studies University (China)
- Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań (Poland)
- The University of Silesia in Katowice (Poland)
- The University of Tampere (Finland)
Main areas of research
- The functioning of research journalism in politics, culture, economics, science, social relations, law, sports, and leisure
- Investigative journalism technologies
- Research journalism in different types of media
- Research Journalism on the Internet
- Analysis of the practice of leading Russian and foreign journalists
- Professional growth and career in research journalism
- Creative solution of intelligent problems in journalism
- Professional qualifications and professional culture of a research journalist
- Axiological aspects of journalism
- Professional journalist ideology
- Feature research journalism
- Research journalism audience
- Electoral processes in the media
- Media as an information resource of politics
- Interaction between government and journalism
- Research television and video documentary
- Historical research and investigation in journalism
- Research approaches to international relations coverage
- Media in ethnocultural processes
- Psychology of research journalism
- Genres and research methods in journalism
- Speech practice in research journalism
- Legal and ethical regulation in research journalism
- Analysis of journalism research results and their use in editorial practice
- Digital media technologies in research journalism
Graduates can work in the media (print, TV and radio broadcasting, news agencies, online publications) and related information and communication spheres (press services, advertising agencies, and public relations agencies). They can also be engaged in research and teaching activities in journalism of various thematic and functional areas in educational institutions with a certain area of expertise.
Interested in this programme — set up your personal account to proceed with your application.