Level of education: Aspirantura programme
Type of instruction : Full-time
Duration: 3 years
Language of instruction: Russian
Main academic courses
- Applied and Computational Linguistics
- Germanic Languages
- Classical Philology, Byzantine and Modern Greek Studies
- Comparative, Typological and Contrastive Linguistics
- Theory of Language
- Slavonic Languages
- Romance Languages
Resource opportunities for research
- The M. Gorky Scientific Library of St Petersburg University has more than 6.9 million printed books and manuscripts in its collections. It provides access to more than 60 million electronic sources which include academic journals, monographs, dissertations, and reference books. It has one of the best library collections among university libraries in Russia.
- The philology branch of the Scientific Library has a unique collection of books and journals in 35 languages and numbers more than 350,000 storage units. The Scientific Library of St Petersburg University provides access to Literature Online database which contains: 357,250 volumes of world classical English-language literature from the 17th century to the present; approximately 20,000 full-text English-language monographs; and the most comprehensive and oldest universal encyclopaedia in English – the Encyclopædia Britannica.
- Simultaneous interpreting study rooms are available.
- Fundamental theoretical training that makes it possible for graduates to successfully continue research activities both in Russia and abroad;
- Continuity of traditions of the oldest academic schools of Russia and innovative programmes based on them;
- Interdisciplinary approach, unique original courses, and a wide range of problems and methods of philological research;
- Active cooperation with foreign universities.