St Petersburg University is one of the world’s biggest centres to provide teaching of Russian as a foreign language to international students
The teaching process is organised by 150 distinguished language instructors who are members of SPbU teaching staff. Many of them have developed their own teaching methods and study guides devoted to Russian as a foreign language.
Every year over 1,000 people from over 65 countries join SPbU Russian language courses for international students.
Applicants are welcome all year round. SPbU offers the following programmes:
"Russian as a foreign language. Main course."
The course is designed for international applicants. It has a modular structure with a minimum duration of 4 weeks (80 academic hours of study). There is a diagnostic test at the end of each module.
Training fee for one module (4 weeks) is 40,000 rubles.
This course is designed for international applicants, high school graduates as well as university and college students. It aims to improve the Russian language skills, develop confidence for everyday communication and expand knowledge of the Russian culture.
This course is ideal for those looking to study at SPbU.
- Modular learning in which a student can independently choose any period of study;
- Intensive teaching: classes are held for 20 academic hours per week;
- Acceptance for study is carried out throughout the calendar year;
- The level of preparation of a student to master a certain module is defined by means of the placement diagnostic testing of Russian;
- Teaching is carried out using textbooks and study guides developed by teachers of
St Petersburg University.
“Summer School of Russian as a Foreign Language at St Petersburg University”
It is a 2-week summer course (implemented from May to October) designed by St Petersburg University for international students aged 14 or more with basic or no prior knowledge of Russian.
The course is structured to include active and interactive practical classes (dialogues, role plays, following instructions, etc.). Educational guided tours around St Petersburg and the University help to raise cultural awareness and put the theoretical cultural knowledge into practice.
The programme is used for foreign citizens of any level of the Russian language knowledge. Training fee is 26,000 rubles.
- Intensive teaching Russian as a foreign language within 2 weeks;
- Allows to increase knowledge of Russia and the Russian language through classes in country studies;
- Teaching without an intermediate language;
- Comprehensive classes on aspects of the Russian language (phonetics, grammar and conversation);
- Thematic classes and roundtables discussions (acquaintance with the history, traditions and culture of Russia).
"Russian as a foreign language. Short-term Course.”
The course lasts from 1 to 3 weeks.
Training fee for the 2019/20 academic year is 9,100 rubles for 1 week, 18,000 rubles for 2 weeks and 27,000 rubles for 3 weeks of study.
This short term course is designed for international applicants and has a minimum entry requirement of no less than A2 in Russian language proficiency. The course aims to help students enhance their Russian language proficiency, particularly their listening and speaking skills.
All courses are taught in groups of maximum 15 students. Classes run from Monday to Friday.
How to Apply
- Fill in an application form online
EU students applying for a 3 months course with no plans to extend their stay get a letter of invitation within 10 days.
- Apply for a student visa at a Russian Consulate.
- Inform the University about your arrival at least 5 days in advance.
- Comprehensive teaching different aspects of the Russian language;
- Interactive forms of work, tasks of the game character are widely used, including role-playing games;
- Classes are held by teachers who own a teaching methodology that does not require translation, what ensures complete “immersion” in the language environment;
- Within each lesson, country-specific information is provided;
- For organized groups, the programme is implemented throughout the calendar year.
“School of Russian as a foreign language in the field of tourism”
Duration of the programme- 1-2 weeks (as agreed with the customer).
Training fee is 15 000 rubles.
- Practical lessons in Russian as a foreign language are aimed at developing skills in using professional knowledge - international tourism;
- Lectures on country studies are delivered in English, they include information about the most important events of Russian history and culture, about the peculiarities of the Russian mentality, habits and passions of Russian people;
- Classes are held by experienced teachers of St Petersburg University, owning modern teaching methods;
- For organized groups, the programme is implemented throughout the calendar year;
- Teaching is carried out in two languages: Russian and English.
St Petersburg University Olympiad in Russian as a Foreign Language
The St Petersburg University Olympiad in Russian as a Foreign Language is for schoolchildren and students between the ages of 14 and 27. It is a unique chance to test their knowledge, creativity and Russian language proficiency in practice. The Olympiad is organised in two rounds: the preliminary round is held by correspondence; and the final round is held on-site.
For more information visit our website
Please feel free to contact us: