Level of education: Bachelor programmes
Type of instruction: Full-time
Duration: 4 years
Language of instruction: English, Russian
Main academic courses
- Fundamentals of Communication Theory
- Fundamentals of Creative Journalism
- Technology and Techniques of Print Media, Radio and TV
- Student Newspaper (TV or Radio Programme)
- History of Russian and Foreign Journalism
- Design in Mass Media
- Fundamentals of Visual Journalism
- Professional Ethics of a Journalist
- Russian Media Landscape (in English)
- Professional Creative Studios
- Sociology of Journalism and Mass Communications
- Fundamentals of Advertising and PR
- Creative Practicum
- Media Theory and Practice
- Professional Portfolio
- Modern International Journalism
- Media Management
- Investigative Journalism
- The programme involves comprehensive training for journalists. It combines modern theoretical approaches to media communication with the experience of practical solutions to professional problems in the media market. As part of the interdisciplinary training, students acquire knowledge and master skills that make it possible for them to be competitive not only in journalism, but also in the media industry as a whole.
- The programme is unique in its historical continuity. On the one hand, it has the philological traditions of the school of Leningrad State University. On the other hand, it is innovative and focused on the present-day development of the media industry and the science of media communications.
- The programme is also unique in that it has close interaction with employers at all levels: from recommendations on the main content of the programme to providing places for internships and employment for graduates.
- The academic programme is based on the scientific achievements of St Petersburg University and reflects the main results of research projects. This makes it possible for bachelor’s students to arrange their knowledge of the profession within the framework of existing scientific knowledge about the development of media and communications, and about modern media systems and media processes inside them.
- Training in journalism at St Petersburg University is notable for the fundamental philological framework and the variability of major subjects. The students master the most demanded practical skills in the field of digital media communications, television and radio journalism, visual journalism and media design. These skills go hand in hand with the digital environment in which they are applied in modern media enterprises. This is also reflected in the academic programme.
- The academic programme has been designed taking into account professional standards and the views of employers on the correlation of graduates' competencies and job functions in their professional activities. At the same time, the programme goes beyond the existing professional standards, which makes it possible to apply the acquired knowledge more widely.
Graduates are well-placed to create, promote, distribute, and customise a media product to meet a variety of goals and demands of audiences. Graduates pursue the social cause of journalism with due regard to modern legal and ethical challenges of information society.
- Literary editor
- International journalist
- Radio and TV host
- Programme / project producer
- Layout designer
- Photo editor
- Programme director
- Content promotion specialist
Interested in this programme — set up your personal account to proceed with your application.