Level of education: Bachelor programmes
Type of instruction: Full-time
Duration: 4 years
Language of instruction: English, Russian
Main academic courses
- Global Communication and International Journalism
- Technology and Techniques of Print Media, Radio and TV
- Standards of International Journalism
- Fundamentals of Creative International Journalism
- Student Newspaper (TV or Radio Programme)
- History of Foreign Journalism
- Media Design
- Modern International Journalism
- Modern Visual Journalism
- Theory and Practice of International Journalism
- Media Economics
- Psychology of Journalism
- Professional Creative Studios: International Journalism and Politics
- Professional Creative Studios: International Business Journalism
- Professional Creative Studios: International Journalism in Culture and Sport
- Russian Media Landscape (in English)
- The St Petersburg University bachelor’s programme to train qualified international journalists is one of the first in Russia. Admission to the ‘International Journalism’ area of study as part of the ‘Journalism’ bachelor’s programme began in 2000. Since 2015, the documents have been admitted to the separate bachelor’s programme ‘International Journalism’.
- At present, the concept of the programme involves the development of the competencies of a universal international journalist. This is a skilled specialist who is capable of creating and producing content in Russian and foreign languages for traditional, audiovisual and new media. The topics are diverse and range from politics and economics to sports and culture.
- Accordingly, the target areas of professional activity of graduates are: Russian and foreign media (as international journalists, editors, managers, producers, columnists and analysts); research, departmental and non-governmental analytical organisations whose activities are related to international relations (as experts, analysts and researchers); international organisations; and consular posts.
- While studying, students acquire knowledge and skills in working technologies in various types of media, and in creating content in various formats and genres. Additionally, much attention is paid to the study of foreign media space. The programme is also unique in that:
1. It is implemented in one of the best universities in Russia and Europe.
2. Training is provided in close cooperation with journalism centres in Europe and Asia. This means that students have training, and professional and research internships in foreign universities and media companies.
3. The programme is interdisciplinary. It covers several areas of knowledge, as well as several areas of professional activity.
4. The programme is implemented using modern eLearning/online technologies.
5. The competitiveness of the programme is also determined by: the high qualification of the teaching staff; the long-standing traditions of training students in international journalism; the proper balance between theory and practice; and the ability to respond timely to changes in professional priorities and technological development in the global mass media content.
6. About 100 international students are currently studying in the programme (25.5% of the total number of students).
The programme is aimed at training specialists in the field of international journalism. In particular, it is focused on training multi-skilled international journalists, correspondents, editors and producers capable of working with international information, as well as information department personnel of international organisations and consular offices. Graduates can also work as photo journalists, TV and radio presenters, media designers, layout designers and media managers.
Interested in this programme — set up your personal account to proceed with your application.