Level of education: Bachelor programmes
Type of instruction: Full-time
Duration: 4 years
Language of instruction: English, Russian
- The bachelor’s programme ‘Soil Science’ is designed to train experts who are ready to solve complex pedological problems in the field of interaction between nature and society at micro, meso and macro levels.
- Students acquire basic education in the field of Earth sciences (geology, geography, ecology), life sciences (biology) and the fundamentals of soil science.
- There is a variety of research areas in the field of modern soil science, digital technologies and related sciences.
- The programme is aimed at training bachelors who are capable of analysing particular and general problems of soil science to carry out research and production work in the field of studying natural, urban, and agricultural systems of various levels.
Main academic courses
- Arctic Soils and their Resistance
- Geography of Soils
- Soil and Environmental Surveys
- Reclamation and Remediation of Soils
- Soil Metagenomics
- Fundamentals of Land Planning and Land Use Management
- Sanitary Soil Science
- Soil Mapping
- Applied Soil Design
- Plant Industry
- General Soil Science
- Engineering Soil Science
- Soil Physics
- Soil Chemistry
- Acquiring basic education in the field of earth sciences (geology, geography, ecology), life sciences (biology) and the fundamentals of soil science;
- Opportunity to work with the state-of-the-art scientific equipment of laboratories and resource centres of the Research Park of St Petersburg University;
- Sustainable contacts with academic institutions and other potential employers;
- There are grants from the Russian Foundation for Basic Research; and joint research projects with leading foreign universities and companies;
- Students have field training practice in the most interesting corners of Russia and the world;
- Training practice at the St Petersburg University centres and in partner organisations: in environmental and conservation organisations; the Belogorye Nature Reserve; the Nizhnesvirsky Nature Reserve; Agrophysical Research Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences; and V.V. Dokuchaev Central Museum of Soil of the Russian Academy of Sciences;
- All students take part in the organisation and holding of the annual international student conference “Dokuchaev youth readings”, where they test their research works: public speaking, publishing, and discussion in the student scientific environment.
- Humboldt University of Berlin (Germany)
- The National Autonomous University of Mexico (Mexico)
- Julius-Maximilians-Universität of Würzburg (Germany)
- The University of Vechta (Germany)
- Heilongjiang University (China)
Graduates are ready to work as soil scientists, pedologists and environmental experts, soil assessment experts, land cadastre specialists, pedologists, and specialists in land reclamation.
Special practical training takes place at: the bases of St Petersburg University and other organisations in the Leningrad Region; Karelia; and reserves in the European part of Russia (the Belogorye Nature Reserve, the Nizhnesvirsky Nature Reserve, and others). Internships take place in different regions of Russia. To make this possible, more than ten agreements have been concluded with: institutes of the Russian Academy of Sciences; the Ministry of Natural Resources; and leading companies – V.V. Dokuchaev Central Museum of Soil of the Russian Academy of Sciences; Agrophysical Research Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences; All-Russian Research Institute of Plant Industry of the Russian Academy of Sciences; Research Institute for Agricultural Microbiology of the Russian Academy of Sciences; OOO Eco-Express Service; and Gazprom proektirovanie, LLC.
State Accreditation Certificate No 2011 dated 16 June 2016.
Interested in this programme — set up your personal account to proceed with your application.