Level of education: Bachelor programmes
Type of instruction: Full-time
Duration: 4 years
Language of instruction: Russian
Main academic courses
- Introduction to Albanian Studies
- History and Geography of Albania
- Albanian Lexicology and Lexicography
- Albanian Folklore
- Theoretical Phonetics of Albanian
- Theoretical Issues in Albanian Grammar
- Albanian Literature
- Albanian Dialectology
- Translation Theory and Practice
- Modern Greek as a Second Balkan Language
- A Third Balkan Language (elective)
- A Second Foreign Language (elective)
- Ancient Greek
- Elective courses
- The Division of Albanian Language and Literature was opened at the Department of General Linguistics in 1957 at the initiative of Professor A.V. Desnitskaya. This division is currently implementing the ‘Albanian’ academic programme. It is the core of the world-famous Leningrad / St Petersburg school of Albanology, called the ‘Desnitskaya School’; and it is the only academic centre for Albanian studies in Russia.
- A central place in the curriculum of the academic programme is occupied by a practical course in spoken Albanian, as well as theoretical courses: introduction to Albanian studies; history and geography of Albania; Albanian literature; Albanian dialectology; theoretical phonetics of Albanian; theoretical issues in Albanian grammar; and Albanian lexicology.
- The programme also provides students with the opportunity to study several foreign languages and a wide selection of elective disciplines (lecture courses and seminars) devoted to both general theoretical and specific linguistic issues.
- Graduates can continue their studies at the master’s programme in Linguistics (Balkan Studies), and then at doctoral programmes in the main field of study 10.02.19 ‘Theory of Language’ or 10.02.20 ‘Comparative-Historical, Typological and Contrastive Linguistics’.
The programme trains specialists who, after graduating from the University, can carry out research, teaching, design, expert advisory and organisational and managerial activities:
- teach Albanian and theoretical Albanian disciplines in Russian and foreign universities
- work in academic institutions in Russia (the Institute of Linguistic Studies of the Russian Academy of Sciences; Peter the Great Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography (Kunstkamera) of the Russian Academy of Sciences; the Institute of Slavic Studies of the Russian Academy of Sciences; and others) and abroad
- work in the field of information technology, based on the analysis of natural language
- practise translation activities
- work in tourism
- work in the diplomatic missions of the Russian Federation in the Balkans.
Interested in this programme — set up your personal account to proceed with your application.