Opening the first Physics Institute in Russia
On 9 September 1901, the first Physics Institute in Russia was opened at St Petersburg University. The building of the Physics Institute is primarily associated with the name of Ivan Borgman. Under his leadership and according to his plans, it was built, equipped and became the first building in Russia purposefully designed for physics classes. Ivan Borgman was the first director of the Physics Institute.