Scientific societies of the University
Since the end of the 1860s, scientific societies started to appear at the University. In 1868, the Society of Naturalists was formed. In 1869, the Russian Chemical Society was opened with the active participation of Dmitri Mendeleev. In 1878, it was transformed on his initiative into the Russian Physical and Chemical Society. Later, the Philological Society, Anthropological Society, and Historical Society were formed.