Women’s higher education courses
St Petersburg University initiated the idea to offer women an opportunity to receive a university education in Russia. In 1878, with the participation of professors of the University, the Higher Women's Courses were opened. The courses were named ‘The Bestuzhev courses’ after their founder, Professor Konstantin Bestuzhev-Ryumin. In 1919, the courses became part of the University.