Level of education: Master programme
Type of instruction: Full-time
Duration: 2 years
Language of instruction: English, Russian
Main academic courses
- Security Threats in the System of Global Problems of Modern Times
- Poly-Actorness and Problems of Global Governance in the 21st Century
- Current Issues in Studying World Politics
- Philosophy and Anthropology of World Politics in the 21st Century
- Economics in the Global Era
The programme is of a comprehensive character and consists of:
- uniquely designed theoretical and methodological background for studying current issues in today’s world: ‘Current Issues in Studying World Politics and International Relations’ (Professor Vataniar Yagya, Honoured Scientist of the Russian Federation, Honorary Professor of St Petersburg University, Doctor of History; and Nadezhda Kharlampeva, Associate Professor of the Department of World Politics); and ‘Philosophy of World Politics’ (Professor Nataliia Vasilyeva, Doctor of Science (Philosophy); and Mariia Lagutina, Associate Professor of the Department of World Politics);
- research activities of master’s students studying the global problems of the modern age that affect the change of the political situation in the regions of the world. They cover the following areas: global political processes; integration issues in the global political system; global governance in the world community; the linguistic and confessional dimension of world politics; international and regional security; and others.
The educational and research programme is supported in practice:
- students together with their teachers take part in Russian and international conferences and in projects and programmes on current issues in today’s world. They also write joint academic papers. Master’s students are engaged in federal, regional and international events;
- lectures are delivered by: leading experts in international relations; senior officials from the foreign affairs ministries and public service departments of the Russian Federation, the US Department of State, CIS countries, the Eurasian Union, the European Union, and Asia-Pacific countries; consular officers stationed in St Petersburg and North-West of the Russian Federation; and others;
- best master's theses are published in the annual almanac of the department ‘Current Issues in World Politics’. It unites specialists involved in world politics and current issues of the present day
Partnership relations with institutions involved in educational and research activities make it possible for master students to take part in exchange programmes and joint research and educational projects.
The programme is becoming known due to the research of leading scholars working in the programme to promote scholarly world political directions, which received attention and support from: the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation; the Russian Foundation for the Humanities; St Petersburg University; the Academy of Sciences of Finland (Helsinki); the International Arctic Social Sciences Association; the international organisation ‘Northern Forum’; the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (Belgium); the Institute of Energy and Geopolitics of the National University of Singapore (Singapore); the Institute of Law and Politics of the Ocean University of China (Qingdao); the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (Germany); and others.
- Çanakkale Onsekiz Mart University (Turkey)
- Hangzhou University (China)
- The Jagiellonian University (Poland)
- The Universityof Edinburgh (Great Britain)
- Istanbul University (Turkey)
- The Shanghai International Studies University (China)
- The Institute of Law and Politics of the Ocean University of China (China)
Main areas of research
- Global political processes; integration issues in the global political system
- Global governance in the world community
- Linguistic dimension of world politics
- Confessional dimension of world politics
- International and regional security
The graduates can work in government bodies of the Russian Federation, international governmental and non-governmental organisations, transnational companies, research and analytical organisations.
Interested in this programme — set up your personal account to proceed with your application.