On May 24, following the consultations between the Presidents of Russia and France at the SPIEF venue, SPbU entered into a set of cooperation agreements with Sorbonne University. The scope of the agreements is development and implementation of educational programmes on history, philosophy and literature. The documents were signed by SPbU Rector Nikolay Kropachev and Barthélémy Jobert, President of the Sorbonne University Foundation.
The negotiations held by the heads of the states resulted in signing of a package of joint documents aimed at the Russian-French cooperation development. They included several cooperation agreements between SPbU and Sorbonne University devoted to the development and implementation of double degree programmes in history, literature and philosophy.
Enrollment on any of the programmes will be available both at SPbU and the Sorbonne — students will be educated in two universities at once, and at the end of the studies they will be awarded diplomas of the both universities.
SPbU actively cooperates with the world's leading centres of education and science, opens its offices abroad and launches new programmes with a foreign component. France is one of the priority areas for us, and I am very pleased to announce today the beginning of joint work with the leading French university. SPbU and the Sorbonne will create three new master programmes in the field of humanities. I am confident that they will be in demand and attract the best graduates of the Russian and French universities.
SPbU Rector Nikolay Kropachev
Professor Kropachev added that the interaction with the French party is very promising. In December 2017, at a meeting with Hugues de Chavagnac, the new Consul General of France in St Petersburg, the opportunity of strengthening partnership relations with the Sorbonne was discussed, and now, less than six months later, the appropriate agreements were signed. "I hope all our ideas will be implemented as quickly and successfully and the cooperation between SPbU and the Sorbonne will soon become truly interdisciplinary," said Nikolay Kropachev.
Dozens of main and additional educational programmes with the French component, such as "Philosophy", "Psychology", "International Relations", "Philology", "Sociology" and so on, are implemented at SPbU.
Strategies for the development of new master programmes in history, philosophy and literature will be determined by specially created councils of educational programmes which will include representatives of SPbU and the Sorbonne. Let us remind you that in 2017 Hugues de Chavagnac was appointed head of the council of the SPbU additional educational programme "French University College".
The total of six documents were signed during the negotiations between the Russian President Vladimir Putin and French President Emmanuel Macron:
- Joint statement of the Ministry of Economic Development of the Russian Federation and the Ministry of Economy and Finance of the French Republic regarding the new Russian-French partnership for the future economy
- Declaration of intent between the Ministry of Culture of the Russian Federation and the Ministry of Culture of the French Republic on cooperation in the field of cultural heritage
- Strategic document between the State Atomic Energy Corporation "Rosatom" and the Commissariat for Atomic and Renewable Energy of France on the Russian-French partnership in the field of peaceful use of atomic energy
- Agreement between the Novatek PAO and the Total concern regarding the participation of the Total concern in the Arctic LNG 2 LLC
- Agreement between the Russian Direct Investment Fund, Orpea JSC and Caisse des Dépôts financial group on joint investments in the medical rehabilitation sector in Russia
- Cooperation agreement between SPbU and Sorbonne University on the development and implementation of double degree educational programmes in history, literature and philosophy