Information Law and Data Protection
In english and russian
Level of education Master
Type of instruction Full-time
Duration 2 years
The programme is designed to develop in students competences required for a lawyer in the field of information technology and telecommunications (IT lawyer). The main emphasis is on legal issues of end-to-end digital technologies: big data; artificial intelligence; and distributed ledgers to name just a few. The programme focuses primarily on the development of practical skills. The programme is unique in that it provides an opportunity to choose a special module on personal data protection, which includes disciplines of Sberbank, St Petersburg University’s partner. The programme is suitable both for: graduates with bachelor’s degrees in law wishing to link their professional activities with IT law; and those who specialise in the technical side but wish to gain specialist legal knowledge in this area.
- Introduction to the Digital Economy
- Media Philosophy and Law
- Digital Rights and Public Law
- Fundamentals of Intellectual Property Law
- Civil Law Relations in the Digital Environment
- Legal Regulation of Personal Data
- Professional Skills of IT Lawyer
- The structure of the programme and the course content have been designed on the basis of the practical experience of the authors, including: the supervisor of the programme, Professor Vladislav Arkhipov, who has many years of experience in the intellectual property, information technology and telecommunications practices of an international law firm; and Sberbank’s personal data specialists
- The programme is designed and implemented in cooperation with Sberbank, a leading IT employer. The learning process is planned taking into account the logic of the area of study for each semester, including majoring in personal data protection
- The programme provides for internships at Sberbank and the participation of Sberbank specialists in the academic supervision of term and graduation projects
Master’s students have an opportunity to take advantage of St Petersburg University’s extensive international links.
Professions Lawyers in relevant public authorities (e.g. the Ministry of Digital Development, Communications and Mass Media of the Russian Federation) Lawyers of companies whose activities are directly related to the development and/or use of end-to-end digital solutions (e.g. Sberbank) Lawyers of legal and/or consulting companies advising on the legal regulation of end-to-end digital technologies
The programme has been internationally accredited by the Foundation for International Business Administration Accreditation (FIBAA) as part of the institutional accreditation of the Faculty of Law, the Certificate dated 26 February 2021.