Simultaneous Translation (English)
Level of education Master
Type of instruction Full-time
Duration 2 years
- Simultaneous Interpreting
- Consecutive Interpreting
- Conference Interpreting
- Whisper Interpreting (‘Chuchotage’)
- Liaison Interpreting
- Community Interpreting
- Public Service Interpreting
- Interpreting at Medical Institutions
- Translation of Financial Documents
- Translation of Contract Documents
- Translation of Judicial Documents
- Computer-Aided Translation Tools
- Translation of Web Sites
- Translation Editing, Evaluation and Assessment
- Literary Translation
- The programme is unique in that it has been developed to train professional staff in the field of translation and interpreting. The programme provides in-depth specialised training in a wide range of translation skills using best practices and unique techniques developed by the Department of English Philology and Translation.
- For developing the professional skills of an interpreter, courses have been designed for simultaneous, community, and conference interpreting. In simultaneous interpreting study rooms, students will practice: paragraph-to-phrase interpreting; liaison interpreting; whisper interpreting (‘chuchotage’); and consecutive interpreting using interpreter’s note-taking. They will also develop the ability to simultaneously perceive one text and present its interpretation.
- For developing the professional skills of a translator, translation classes provide training in translating texts of various genres and topics. Translation of complex grammatical constructions and lexical difficulties is practiced until it becomes automatic. Special attention is paid to: translation ethics; the rules for presenting translated texts; the ability to communicate with customers; and meeting the deadlines for submitting translated texts. In a specially equipped translation laboratory, students acquire the skills of using state-of-the-art computer-aided translation tools: TRADOS, PROMT, and MULTITERM.
After the training, graduates of the programme will:
- be able to provide high-level translation services (simultaneous and consecutive interpreting and written translation) in international organisations, government bodies and the business environment;
- be able to carry out organisational and managerial activities at events requiring language support: negotiations, seminars, conferences, and symposia;
- be able to make correct translation decisions; be able to present their interpreting and translation; and get out of difficult situations with possible translation mistakes;
- be able to interpret in different settings and adapt their skills and knowledge to changing market conditions;
- know state-of-the-art electronic translation resources.
- Consecutive and simultaneous interpreting
- Literary translation
- Comparative studies of interpreting and translation
- Screen translation
- Political discourse
Graduates can work as interpreters and translators, faculty members, teachers of foreign language courses, escorting interpreters, specialists in publishing activities.
They may work may in: international companies; Russian companies closely cooperating with foreign partners; translation agencies; publishing houses; and universities.