39.03.01In english and russian
Level of education Bachelor
Type of instruction Full-time
Duration 4 years
- Sociology of Politics
- Social Management
- Sociology of Communication
- Social Anthropology
- Sociology of Economy
- Intercultural Communication
- Theoretical Sociology
- Modern Theories of Culture
- Sociology of Markets
- Sociology of Entrepreneurship
- Mathematical Methods in Sociology
- Social Process Modelling
- Sociology of Law
- Sociology of International Relations
- Statistical Package for Social Sciences
- Methods and Techniques of Social Studies
- Social Analysis
- Youth Culture and Subculture
- High quality education is focused on practical, research and managerial activities.
- The bachelor’s programme in sociology covers diverse fields of study that reflect all areas of sociological research: modern methods and technologies of social problems research; modern sociological theories; research in the social structure of modern society and problems of social inequality; social anthropology; sociology of political and social processes; sociology of law; sociology of international relations; sociology of culture and communication; sociology of youth; economic sociology; and sociology of management to name just a few.
- Students have an opportunity to participate in: international academic mobility programmes; and internships in leading universities in Europe, the USA and other countries. They can take an active part in: research activities; international, Russian and regional scientific conferences on relevant topics; and the activity of the Council of Young Scientists at the Faculty of Sociology of St Petersburg University.
- The programme is unique in that it has its own resource centre for empirical social research using cutting-edge equipment. The programme also provides expert support in all areas of practical sociological work, and a wide range of initiative sociological training and research centres, including international ones.
- High quality training is also achieved through cooperation with a wide range of employers: leading Russian and foreign sociological centres, research institutes, and governmental and business structures. This ensures the possibility of effective internships and further employment.
- Students acquire knowledge of a quality that meets international standards for a bachelor’s degree in the social sciences.
- Bachelor’s students with focus on studying in master’s programmes at leading Russian or foreign universities receive appropriate training.
Students have an opportunity to take part in academic mobility programmes.There are over 300 leading universities in Europe, America and Asia among partner universities. Depending on the programme, students may qualify for a scholarship and either paid or free accommodation in a hall of residence. The list of academic mobility programmes is updated annually. All up-to-date information can be found on the St Petersburg University International Affairs website in the Students Exchange Programme section.
Examples of Academic partners:
- Hankuk University of Foreign Studies, Republic of Korea
- Charles University (the Czech Republic)
- Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg (Germany)
- Faculty of Sociology, Bielefeld University (Germany)
The graduates are trained to work as sociologists, marketing experts, PR specialists, social analysts, researchers, experts, human resources specialists, specialists in social consulting and social audit
Among the prospective jobs are:
- Sociological analyst
- Specialist in organising sociological and marketing research
- Specialist consultant in sociological expertise and the application of its findings in sociology and economy
- Field research specialist
- PR specialist
- HR manager
- Social consultant and social audit specialist
- Marketing analyst
- Social media analyst
- Project manager
- Community manager
Organisations where our graduates work:
- The Institute of Sociology of the Russian Academy of Sciences
- St Petersburg University
- The International Centre for Social and Economic Research ‘Leontief Centre’
- The Centre for Independent Social Research
- The Committee for Industrial Policy, Innovations and Trade of St Petersburg
- The Legislative Assembly of St Petersburg
- The Administration of the Leningrad Region
- The Administration of the Governor of the Arkhangelsk Region of the Government of the Arkhangelsk Region
- Leningrad Region Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- North-West Bank of Sberbank of Russia
- St Petersburg Industrial Joint Stock Bank
- The Russian Museum of Ethnography
- Vodokanal of St Petersburg
- Siemens Gas Turbine Technologies
- Coca-Cola HBC Eurasia
- BSH Bytowije Pribory
- and others.