International Private Law
40.04.01In english and russian
Level of education Master
Type of instruction Full-time
Duration 2 years
- International Trade Law
- Legal Regulation of Foreign Economic Activities
- International Protection of Intellectual Property
- The Law of International Organisations
- Current Issues in International Maritime Law
- Application of International Law by Courts and Arbitration Tribunals
- Current Issues in Private International Law
- Legal Regulation of International Trade Finance
- Law of Treaties
- Harmonisation of National Legal Systems
- The master's programme ‘International Private Law’ makes it possible to acquire professional competencies for work in: government agencies; international agencies; Russian and international companies; public organisations; banks; and consulting firms. Students master skills in: legal support for international transactions; and advocacy of natural and legal persons in conditions of international civil and economic circulation, including legal and arbitration representation.
- During the training, students receive in-depth knowledge of: international public and private law; European law; comparative law; and international civil process.
- The programme provides training for specialists whose qualifications make it possible to be engaged in various types of activities typical of lawyers practicing in the field of international private law: planning and concluding international contracts and drafting them; administration of trade and other commercial transactions; performing international settlements; corporate relations; copyright in the global information society; legal advice on international arbitration; and expert counselling on international law and European law.
- The academic programme has been designed taking into account professional standards and the views of employers on the correlation of graduates' competencies and job functions in their professional activities.
Among the University’s partners are:
- Universität Hamburg (Germany)
- Freie Universität Berlin (Germany)
- Vilnius University (Lithuania)
- Charles University (the Czech Republic)
- The University of Belgrade (Serbia)
- The Academy of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Republic of Belarus
- Peking University (China)
- Hanoi Law University (Vietnam)
Master’s students take part in exchange education programmes at a number of foreign universities, in particular: the University of Passau (Germany); the University of Antwerp (Belgium); the University of Oslo (Norway); Kyushu University (Japan); the University of Amsterdam (Netherlands); the University of Helsinki (Finland); and LUISS Guido Carli in Rome (Italy).
There is also an agreement with the Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China on student exchange programmes.
- Status of transnational business entities
- Harmonisation of law
- Regulators of transnational commercial relations
- International protection of intellectual property
- E-commerce, the use of digital technology
- The practice of concluding international contracts
- Sea transportation of goods and passengers
- International legal protection of foreign investment
- Alternative dispute resolution methods
- International Commercial Arbitration
Graduates are in demand in all spheres and areas of professional activities of lawyers. They work in: federal agencies of the Russian Federation; state-run corporations; state and municipal enterprises; consulting companies; international bodies and organisations; and the media.
Graduates are ready for practical activities in: legislative, executive, and judicial authorities; and public defender’s office and prosecutor’s office. They can hold any departmental posts and can provide legal services to enterprises, institutions, and organisations. Having a high level of knowledge, skills and practical experience, graduates are in demand in the labour market. They work in well-known Russian and international companies and law firms.
Organisations where our graduates work
- Government of the Russian Federation
- Constitutional Court of the Russian Federation
- Ministry of Justice of the Russian Federation
- Ministries and Federal Agencies
- European Court of Human Rights
- International Non-Governmental Organisations
- Administration of St Petersburg
- North-West Customs Department of the Federal Customs Service
- Baker & McKenzie
- Beiten Burkhardt
- Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners
- Pepeliaev Group
- VEGAS LEX
- Monastursky Zyuba Stepanov & Partners (MZS)
- Bank Saint Petersburg and other organisations
Graduates of the programme work in various professional spheres, including: federal law enforcement; state corporations; state and municipal authorities; consultancies; international bodies and organisations; and the media.
The graduates are competent and ready to perform practical tasks in legislative, law enforcement or judicial bodies, in advocacy and or a prosecutor’s office. They can hold positions in and provide legal services to any type of institution and organisation. Graduates have a high level of knowledge, skills and practical experience, and work in the leading Russian and international companies and law firms.