Master in Smart City Management – MSC
38.04.04 In english and russian
Level of education Master
Type of instruction Full-time
Duration 2 years
- The programme aims to train experts who will be capable of setting tactical requirements for smart city projects based on: an analysis of the strategic goals of urban development; and a general understanding of the performance features of the city as a complex open system.
A smart city is a combination of three levels of infrastructure organisation in a city: traditional infrastructure, smart technology and Data Science, and the people who use these technologies.
- The programme targets applicants with a managerial (economics, management, state and municipal administration), engineering and technical (architectural and construction fields of study) and humanitarian (political science, sociology, etc.) backgrounds, aimed at building a career in the development of smart city projects. Graduates of the MSC programme will have the following core competencies:
- They will know the fundamentals of the economy and the features of city development.
- They will be capable of: analysing social and economic processes; and setting goals and objectives of urban projects in the context of the digital transformation of the city, taking into account the interests of the stakeholders of urban development.
- They will know how to analyse management processes to digitalise them to form a digital decision support system in the field of urban development.
- They will have skills in shaping digital solutions in urban development: Internet of Things in urban development; platform solutions for urban development; and others.
Hard skills courses:
- Microeconomic Analysis for Public Policy
- Contemporary Public Management
- Contemporary Strategic Analysis
- Applied Econometrics
- Financial Management in Public Sector
- Strategic Planning and Management of State Prоgrammes
- Public–Private Partnerships
- Urban Economics and Development
- Strategies for Spatial Development
- Smart Technologies
- Place Marketing
- Analysis of Public Policy
Soft skills courses:
- Professional Skills of Managers
- Consulting Project on Urban and Regional Development Management
- Research Seminar
- Summer Internship
- Foreign Language
- The programme is practice-oriented. Lecturers-practitioners are involved in delivering lectures. Students have to do summer internship after the first year of study and prepare consulting projects for partner companies of St Petersburg University in the second year of study
- The academic staff of the programme have had experience in teaching at top foreign universities and business schools. The programme provides guest lectures delivered by teachers from top foreign business schools and experts from the professional community
- The programme is taught in Russian and English. The teaching process takes place in a cross-cultural environment, which makes it possible to increase competitive advantages of graduates in the labour market
- Students have an opportunity to take part in the competition and study for a semester abroad at one of the top universities / business schools that are part of a wide range of academic partners of St Petersburg University
- Students are provided with: The Career Center of the Graduate School of Management at St Petersburg University; library and electronic resources of the University; and opportunities offered by employers' organisations that are University’s partners and members of the Council of the academic programme for organising internships, practical training, consulting projects, and further employment
- Students of the programme can take part in research projects supervised by top scholars of St Petersburg University in the field of state and municipal administration of urban and regional development. This also includes the preparation of their graduation projects
- The emphasis of the programme is on shaping an individual educational trajectory for every student. Limited admission quotas for the programme give us the opportunity to work with each student individually, helping them to build their own interesting educational path.
There are more than 80 partners. Among them are:
- Vienna University of Economics and Business (Austria)
- HEC Paris (École des hautes études commerciales de Paris) (France)
- Queen’s University School of Business (Canada)
- Indian Institute of Management Calcutta (India)
- Erasmus University Rotterdam (the Netherlands)
- The National University of Singapore (NUS) Business School (Singapore)
- Babson College (the USA)
- The University of St. Gallen (Switzerland)
- The School of Economics and Management, Tsinghua University (China)
- Escola de Administração de Empresas de São Paulo da Fundação Getulio Vargas (FGV-EAESP) (Brazil)
- Nagoya University of Commerce and Business (Japan)
- Smart city project performance analysis
- Analysis of institutional constraints on the implementation of smart city projects
- Strategic planning for the development of regions and cities
- Marketing and branding of territories in the context of digitalisation of the economy and the implementation of smart city projects
- Public-private partnership projects for developing spatial infrastructure
- Business-government relations in the context of digitalisation of the economy and the implementation of smart city projects
- Smart sustainable development of territories (ESG factors for spatial development)
- Analysts and consultants for non-state analytical centres and international consulting agencies specialising in regional and urban development
- Highly qualified managers for the bodies of state municipal management at the urban and regional levels
- Specialists in the field of business-government relations
- Leading experts in economic analysis and territorial investment projects
- Territory development expert
- Territory development project manager
- Data analyst for territory development projects
- The programme is internationally accredited by the European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS) as part of the institutional accreditation of the Graduate School of Management, the Certificate dated 16 November 2021.
- The programme is internationally accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) as part of the institutional accreditation of the Graduate School of Management, the Certificate dated 17 December 2021.