Ecology and Nature Management
05.03.06 In english and russian
Level of education Bachelor
Type of instruction Full-time
Duration 4 years
- The bachelor's programme "Ecology and Nature Management" provides knowledge about: the principles of rational use of natural resources; methods of reclamation of disturbed environmental components; and the basics of analysing and predicting the risk associated with natural and man-made disasters
- The programme is interdisciplinary. Students therefore receive theoretical and practical knowledge in: Earth sciences; sustainable nature management; geoecological monitoring; environmental geology; environmental management; regional geoecology; environmental safety; and sustainable development of regions to name just a few
- Graduates acquire the skills to: carry out research in the environmental state of natural systems and their components (atmosphere, hydrosphere, lithosphere, pedosphere, and biota); and design and develop systems of environmental safety and environmental management. They are capable of: solving issues in the field of environmental protection, geoecology and rational use of natural resources; and conducting environmental impact assessment and environmental audit
- The programme is designed to train experts in priority areas in the field of: geoecology; sustainable nature management; ecology and subsurface management; and environmental management. They will be able to take part in the control, audit and administrative activities of public-sector agencies and companies aimed at: environmental protection and rational nature management; protection of the geological environment and rational subsurface use; and ensuring environmental safety and sustainable development of regions
- Processing and Recycling of Production and Consumption Waste
- General Ecology
- Environmental Law
- Geoecological Monitoring
- Social Environmental Science
- Natural Resources and Ecosystem Services
- Ecological Databases
- Introduction to Environmental Regulation
- Hydrobiology and Bioindication of Aquatic Ecosystems
- Methods of Processing and Analysis of Field Research Data in Natural Resource Management
- Assessment of Environmental Risk and Damage
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Nature Use Management
- The academic programme is designed to train specialists in ecology and environmental management – ecology is considered as the most important direction in the concept of the national security of the state – it is also the most important component of the Environmental Doctrine and the Fundamentals of Environmental Policy of the Russian Federation until 2030
- Participation in expeditions throughout Russia; internships and training practices at St Petersburg University bases and partner organisations
- Practical classes are held in the resource and educational centres of St Petersburg University, laboratories of partner universities, and research institutes
- Students take part in conferences, seminars, symposia, including the annual Great Geographical Festival
- A long-term partnership with the Russian Geographical Society and various Russian and international partner organisations
- The university clinical model of internships is used to motivate and guide St Petersburg University students towards creative and professional fulfilment. Internships at the University clinics can be preceded and accompanied by training sessions. While doing the internships, students participate in professional activities or processes that simulate different types of professional activities
- Availability of courses in English – graduates can continue their studies in master’s programmes with international participation in this field or take part in academic exchange programmes with foreign universities
- University of Stavanger (Norway)
- University of Helsinki (Finland)
- Universität Hamburg (Germany)
- La Salle University (France)
- Graduates of the programme will be ready to: carry out activities related to the environmental impact; and engage in control and audit activities. These include: the preparation of documentation for environmental assessment; various types of project analysis; and participation in environmental audits and consulting.
- After mastering the programme, graduates are capable of: industrial monitoring of waste management; and planning and conducting environmental monitoring in various regions, including the Arctic.
- Graduates can work with applied aspects of geoecology, perform laboratory analyses on cutting-edge equipment, and maintain design environmental documentation.
- Graduates can also continue their studies in master's programmes at St Petersburg University or other universities.
State Accreditation Certificate No 2011 dated 16 June 2016.