01.05.01 In english and russian
Level of education Specialist
Type of instruction Full-time
Duration 5 years
The programme provides development of the following competences: graduates are capable of using basic and special methods of mathematical research in the analysis and solution of problems of advanced mathematics using in-depth knowledge of physical and mathematical disciplines and information technology; they are also capable of conducting independent research and working in a research team. Students acquire the ability to: set objectives and find the best methods of their solution in the light of modern scientific achievements; use cutting-edge methods and algorithms of computer mathematics; use them for modelling, approximate solutions and presentation of results; and present research findings to different audiences.
- Algebra and Number Theory
- Mathematical Analysis
- Geometry and Topology
- Discrete Mathematics
- Mathematical Logic and Set Theory
- Differential Equations
- Dynamical Systems
- Equations of Mathematical Physics
- Functional Analysis
- Probability Theory
- Extremal Problems
- Smooth Manifolds
- Computer Science
- Computer Technologies in Mathematical Investigation
- Concepts of Modern Natural Science
- Culture of Mathematical Reasoning
- Mathematical Statistics
- Mathematics Teaching Methods
- Methods of Computation
- Theoretical Cybernetics
- Theoretical Mechanics
- Calculus of Variations
- An outstanding team of lecturers and research associates provides training in all areas of advanced mathematics.
- The existence of acting schools of thought provides students with an opportunity to be actively engaged in research work directly at the University.
- The programme combines classical traditions of education and science with modern, globally recognised achievements.
- There is an indisputable international profile.
- All branches of modern mathematics are covered. There is in-depth mathematical training that provides the possibility for active work in the most complex areas of modern theoretical mechanics.
- High calibre teaching staff. Students attend lectures, including in English, delivered by top scientists in various fields of mathematics and have access to international electronic resources.
- Traditions of the St Petersburg school of mathematics. The modern research team carries on the traditions of one of the leading schools of mathematics in the world.
- Advanced teaching standards. The offered courses make it possible for students to get acquainted with the current state of mathematical research and cutting-edge research methods.
- Interesting and relevant research topics. Students can be engaged in solving challenging scientific problems: they can conduct their own research as part of their term papers and graduation projects; do internships in Russian and foreign universities; and present their reports at Russian and international conferences.
- Research using state-of-the-art technologies. Much attention is paid to theoretical knowledge; and the development of algorithmic design skills and skills for solving problems from various applied fields of science based on the application of cutting-edge achievements of fundamental and applied mathematics.
- Acquisition of much-in-demand applied skills. Working with advanced computer equipment opens up the opportunity to be fully engaged in the development of the national system of the digital economy.
- Interdisciplinarity of the problems to be solved. Fundamental training makes it possible for graduates to reasonably apply mathematical methods while building, analysing and implementing new theoretical and computer models in modern natural science, industry, economics and management.
The graduates acquire the following skills and competences
Practical application of basic and special methods of mathematical research in the analysis and solution of problems of present-day mathematics. At the same time, they acquire profound knowledge at lecture courses and practical classes in different fields of physics and mathematics. The graduates are also competent in information technologies
- Ability to carry out independent scientific work and work in a research team. The students acquire the skill to set tasks and find optimal methods for their solution by applying the modern achievements of science. Their graduation papers are often published in prestigious mathematical journals
- Ability to freely navigate in modern methods and algorithms of computer mathematics, use them for modelling, approximate solution and presentation of results
- Ability to present their scientific findings in various ways, taking into account the level of the audience. The graduates are capable to teach physical and mathematical disciplines and informatics at higher education institutions, as well as at secondary schools