05.03.01In english and russian
Level of education Bachelor
Type of instruction Full-time
Duration 4 years
- Geological Mapping and Structural Geology
- Geology of Minerals
- General Geophysics
- Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology
- Informatics and Mathematical Methods in Geology
- History of the Earth and Organic World
- Crystallography and Crystal Optics
- General and Regional Geotectonics
- Sedimentary Geology
- Planet Earth
- Economic Geology
- Foreign Language
- History of Russia (online course)
- Philosophy (online course)
- The programme is unique in that it combines fundamental geological education with an individual approach to the training of each student.
- The opportunity exists to use the advanced equipment of the resource centres of the Research Park of St Petersburg University.
- Students can participate in expeditions throughout Russia, and in training practices at the field bases of St Petersburg University and in foreign countries.
- The opportunity exists to participate in academic exchange programmes with world universities.
- Joint research projects with top foreign universities and companies are set up.
- Students can take part in conferences, seminars and symposia, and also in the annual conference of the student scientific society.
- Students have the possibility to choose from elective courses and build their own educational path for advanced training in a particular field of geology: geology and mineral resources; geophysics; hydrogeology; engineering geology; crystallography; sedimentary geology; petrology, mineralogy and geochemistry.
- Reliable contacts exist with potential employers: institutes of the Russian Academy of Sciences; geological research and production organisations.
This programme is designed to train specialists who:
- have knowledge in the field of: general geology; palaeontology; historical geology; stratigraphy; geological mapping; structural geology, geotectonics and geodynamics; geology of Russia; crystallography; mineralogy; petrography; lithology; general geochemistry; isotope geochemistry and geochronology; geophysics; geology of mineral deposits; hydrogeology; and engineering geology;
- have the skills of: the practical solution of geological problems using the methods of geology, geophysics, geochemistry, hydrogeology and engineering geology; drawing up an integral idea of the structure and interaction of the entire totality of geological processes; and using physical and mathematical tools and specialised information technology to solve job tasks;
- have great command in field and laboratory research methods and principles for analysing the results of processing the obtained data.
- La Salle University (France)
- The University of Oslo (Norway)
- The University of Tromsø (Norway)
You can get internship at the RAS, Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, and other leading institutions.
Geology graduates can proceed to employment in research institutions, mineral exploration and mining companies that make a geological survey; companies that monitor environment and solve ecological tasks; planning and surveying, drilling and construction; institution of higher education and secondary professional education; institution of secondary general education.