Asian and African History (with Asian/African language tuition)
58.04.01 In russian
Level of education Master
Type of instruction Full-time
Duration 2 years
- Philosophy of History
- Concepts of Modern Asian and African Studies
- Logic and Methodology of Research
- Russia and the East at the Turn of the 21st Century
- Handwritten Arabic Book / Government and Society in Traditional Cultures of East and Southeast Asia / East Asia – Russia – Western World: The Shaping of Ethnic Images and Stereotypes / The Ancient Near East and Classical World (According to Written Sources) / Egypt and Western Asia in the 2nd – 1st Millennia BC (According to Written Sources) / Muslim Spain: History and Culture / Modern and Traditional Education Systems in Oriental Countries
- Outer Mongolia in the 20th Century: The history of the State and Society / Geographical Image of Turan and Turkestan in the Context of History / Greek and Latin Authors on the Ancient East / Cultural Connections Between Central Asia and India in the Middle Ages / History of Korean Culture: Historiography / Sources of the Middle and New Kingdom / Issues in Contemporary History of India / Holy Men and Evil Spirits in Folk Religions of China and the Adjacent Countries
- East Versus West: Peacetime – Evolution of the Calendar and the Temporal Concepts in History / Macro- and Micro-Historical Analysis in the Study of Asia and Africa
- The master’s programme ‘Asian and African History (with Asian/African language tuition)’ is aimed at developing in students a holistic understanding of the evolution of human society and its features in relation to African-Asian countries and peoples. Students also study in depth one or more Asian/African languages.
- The programme provides students with an opportunity to: expand their scope of historical knowledge; and develop the background for comparative historical analysis and a systematic integrated approach to the study of the historical process. It will make it possible for graduates to use their knowledge and skills in the analysis of the current socio-economic and political situation. They will also predict the development vector of Asian/African peoples and countries.
- Practical and theoretical courses are taught by leading orientalists of St Petersburg University, among whom there are native speakers of Asian/African languages.
- Fundamental language and theoretical training contribute to quality education.
- Practical training and internship take place in top academic institutions of St Petersburg, including: the State Museum of the History of Religion; and the Institute of Oriental Manuscripts of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
- Close relations with employers make it possible for graduates to quickly find jobs in their degree field.
Main areas of research
- History of Asian and African countries
- The sphere of interaction with Asian/African countries and peoples
- Russian, regional and international organisations interacting with Asian/African countries and peoples
The programme involves the following practical training
- Academic teaching practice
- Student research training
- Teacher of additional education for children and adults
- Teacher of professional training, vocational education, and lifelong professional education and training
- Expert in education
- Museum curator
- Specialist in organisational and document support for corporate management
- Media correspondent
- Media editor