05.04.01In english and russian
Level of education Master
Type of instruction Full-time
Duration 2 years
- Current Issues in Geology
- Mineral Resources
- Modern Methods of Natural Substance Analysis and Its Properties
- Presentations and Academic Writing
Courses in Geochemistry
- Genetic Mineralogy
- Practical Petrology
- Exploration and Environmental Geochemistry
- Endogenic Rock-Forming Processes
- Physico-Chemical Petrology
Courses in Mineral Resources
- Basin Analysis and Minerageny of Sedimentary Basins
- Modelling of Geological Processes and Systems
- Prospecting and Exploration of Mineral Deposits
- Economic Geology
- Courses in Sedimentary Geology
- General (Theoretical) Lithology
- Principles and Methods of Palaeontology and Biosphere Evolution
- Facies Analysis. Palaeogeography
- The advanced methods and approaches used in the industry are combined with in-depth fundamental knowledge in Earth sciences. The programme provides an opportunity for students to build their own educational paths, taking into account their preferences and the current research areas offered by leading geological organisations.
- Students have an opportunity to gain valuable experience in research and project work as part of their training programme in laboratories, offices, field expeditions and/or during internships in employing companies.
- There is an opportunity to receive scholarship support, which will make it possible for students to engage only in education: Academician Mitrofanov scholarship; advanced academic scholarship; Rosneft scholarship; and scholarship of the St Petersburg University Alumni Association.
- Cutting-edge equipment of the resource centres of St Petersburg University can be used.
- Topics for graduation projects offered to students are always relevant for the geological industry and they are either supported by grants or proposed by employers.
- Students can use opportunity to take part in various student exchange programmes within the framework of international agreements of St Petersburg University with foreign partner universities. Students can use opportunity to take part in various international academic mobility programmes: Erasmus + LaSalle University France, Campus Europae, ERANET- MUNDUS, Finnish-Russian Cross-Border University (CBU), Finnish-Russian Student and Teacher Exchange Programme (FIRST). They can also take advantage of international scholarships and grants (POSCO Russia Fellowship, Fulbright, etc.).
- Productive partnership relations have developed with universities and scientific institutions in Germany, Switzerland, France, the Czech Republic, Austria, Poland, Hungary, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Great Britain, Canada, Japan, and Korea.
- Geochemistry of elements and isotopes
- Petrological modelling
- Mineral-forming processes
- Applied and environmental geochemistry
- Structural geology and tectonics of regions
- Evolution of sedimentary basins
- Early history of the Earth
- Geology of Mineral Deposits
- Estimation and calculation of reserves
Graduates are ready for the following professional activities in the field of geology and environmental protection in Russia and abroad:
- Research activities in: academia, industry research institutes, and higher educational institutions
- Research and production activities in: appropriate manufacturing organisations and oil companies
- Organisational and managerial activities in: government bodies of natural resources, research and production organisations, public and private companies involved in exploration, prospecting and extraction of minerals
- Project activities in: public and private engineering companies
- Expert activities in: public and private sector organisations involved in a variety of environmental and geological work
- Academic activities in: institutions of general secondary, vocational secondary and higher education
- Geologist (mapping, work on geological features)
- Geochemist (work on geological features and in laboratories)
- Mineralogist (work on geological features and in laboratories)
- Head of a geological team / party
- Research associate
- University lecturer