Level of education Master
Type of instruction Full-time
Duration 2 years
- Introduction to Bioinformatics
- Debatable Issues of the Evolution Theory
- Presentation of Research Data and Grant Application Skills
- Internship (Teaching Practice, Research Work)
- Philosophical Problems of Natural Science and Methodology of Biology
- Other disciplines and practical training are individual and vary depending on the chosen educational path.
- The master's programme 'Biology’ at St Petersburg University currently has practically no analogues either in Russia or abroad in its fundamental nature and coverage of biological knowledge. A wide range of courses (theoretical disciplines, workshops, field and laboratory practices) makes it possible to build individual educational paths.
- In-depth knowledge in various fields of present-day biology is acquired through uniquely designed courses and scholarly traditions that develop research in such areas as: zoology; protistology; parasitology; entomology; genetics; microbiology; cell biology; neurobiology; and many others.
- Students are able to carry out research at the highest level on the basis of St Petersburg University or partner organisations, including foreign ones. The University provides unique opportunities for this: the cutting-edge equipment of the Research Park; field study areas; the richest information resources; and communication with leading scientists from Russia and abroad.
- Having a broad vision of biological issues, graduates of the programme are able to: plan, organise and carry out fundamental, applied and interdisciplinary studies using the most advanced methods; process and analyse obtained data using modern information and digital technologies, including working with databases (Big Data); speak English at a level sufficient to solve job tasks and for communication; and have teaching skills.
- Graduates of the programme work in: universities; research institutes; biotechnological companies; medical institutions; environmental services; and production associations in Russia and abroad. Some graduates of the ‘Biology’ master's programme head chief laboratories in the world.
Training provides ample opportunities for international cooperation with academic and research institutions around the world. Most of the contacts are with organisations in Europe and North America.
Fundamental and applied research is carried out in a wide variety of fields of biology, biomedicine, biotechnology and ecology in accordance with their study profile. Interdisciplinary research is also carried out.
The programme is aimed at training specialists capable of heading research teams conducting R&D in both fundamental and applied areas of biological science, as well as effectively solving interdisciplinary problems.
The graduates are employed by universities, research institutes, biotechnology companies, medical institutions, environmental services, production associations in Russia and abroad.