06.04.01 In russian
Level of education Master
Type of instruction Full-time
Duration 2 years
- This master’s programme ’Biology’ currently has practically no analogues in its fundamental nature and coverage of biological knowledge
- In-depth knowledge in various fields of present-day biology is acquired through uniquely designed courses and scholarly traditions that develop research in such areas as: zoology; protistology; parasitology; entomology; genetics; microbiology; cell biology; neurobiology; and many others
- Students are able to carry out research at the highest level on the basis of St Petersburg University or partner organisations, including foreign ones. The University provides unique opportunities for this: the cutting-edge equipment of the Research Park; field study areas; the richest information resources; and communication with leading scientists from Russia and abroad
- After training, graduates of the Biology programme will be able to conduct successful fundamental and applied research and head research teams in future
- Introduction to Bioinformatics
- Debatable Issues of the Evolution Theory
- Presentation of Research Data and Grant Application Skills
- Internship (Teaching Practice, Research Work)
- Philosophical Problems of Natural Science and Methodology of Biology
Other disciplines and practical training are individual and vary depending on the chosen educational path.
- The programme is designed to train experts who are capable of: heading research teams in both fundamental and applied areas of biological science; and solving effectively interdisciplinary challenges. Having a broad vision of biological issues, graduates of the programme are able to: set a scientific goal; and plan, organise and carry out research. They also have knowledge of modern field and laboratory research methods and are able to process and analyse the data obtained using modern information technology; and have teaching skills
- Graduates of the programme work in: universities; research institutes; biotechnological companies; medical institutions; environmental services; and production associations in Russia and abroad. Some graduates of the ‘Biology’ master's programme head chief laboratories in the world
Fundamental and applied research is carried out in a wide variety of fields of biology, biomedicine, biotechnology and ecology in accordance with their study profile. Interdisciplinary research is also carried out.
Training provides ample opportunities for international cooperation with academic and research institutions around the world. Most of the contacts are with organisations in Europe and North America.