Level of education Master
Type of instruction Full-time
Duration 2 years
- Introduction to Linguistic Evaluation and Assessment
- History of State and Law
- Legal Rhetoric
- The Official Language and Language Policy of the State
- Linguistic Expert Evaluation of Legally Valid Text
- History of the Language of Russian Law
- Interpretation of Law
- This interdisciplinary programme provides uniquely designed training courses. They help develop both theoretical and practical competencies in the field of linguistic expert evaluation of human speech activity products.
- On-site internships are conducted in organisations that require specialists with expert skills in legal language.
- Students have an opportunity to participate in scientific events (conferences, seminars, etc.) that are directly related to the programme syllabus as speakers or volunteers. These include: the scientific conference ‘Linguistic Evaluation: Theory and Practice’ at the Institute of Linguistic Studies of the Russian Academy of Sciences; the round table discussion ‘Interrogation in Jurisprudence and Legal Linguistics’ at the Northwestern Branch of the Russian State University of Justice; and the scientific seminar ‘Law, Book and Literature’ at the Faculty of Law of St Petersburg State University of Economics.
- Topics for graduation projects are proposed by employers who include: the International Bar Association of St Petersburg; the Federal Service for Supervision in the Sphere of Telecom, Information Technologies and Mass Communications (Roskomnadzor) in the Northestern Federal District; and the North-Western Forensic Science Centre of the Ministry of Justice of the Russian Federation.
- The research practice ‘Linguistic Consulting’ is carried out at the Research Institute of State Language of St Petersburg University and other research institutions of St Petersburg such as: the Institute of Linguistic Studies of the Russian Academy of Sciences; and the Legal Clinic laboratory of St Petersburg State University of Economics.
- Students have an opportunity to take part in the annual international conference of students of Philology and in exchange programmes with foreign universities.
- The University of Barcelona
- The University of Trier
- The University of Helsinki
- Language of legal texts: history and current state
- Language means of manipulation and influence
- Document language, the history of language (genres) of business communication
- Linguistic evaluation studies as a separate area of modern linguistics
- Trademarks and naming as objects of linguistic expert evaluation
- Rhetorical formulae of modern legal discourse
- Invective function of Russian language: applied aspects
- History of the legal term: judicial and linguistic aspects
- Language signs of extremist texts
- Comparative study of legal (written and oral) texts of various linguistic cultures
The graduates can conduct various kinds of linguistic expert evaluation; develop recommendations on the linguistic support of legal activity; carry out research.