Asian and African Languages
58.04.01 In russian
Level of education Master
Type of instruction Full-time
Duration 2 years
- Philosophy of Language
- Concepts of Modern Asian and African Studies
- Logic and Methodology of Research
- Concepts of Modern Linguistics
- Methodological Fundamentals of Linguistic Research
- English / Spanish / German / French
- Internship. Research Work
- The language block of Asian/African languages
- Comparative, Typological and Contrastive Linguistics / Typology of Verbal Aspect
- General Morphology / Theory of Speech Communication
- Text Linguistics / Ethno- and Sociolinguistics
- Quantitative Characteristics of Different Text Genres / General Syntax
- The master's programme ‘Asian and African Languages’ is aimed at developing in students a holistic understanding of: Asian and African languages; and the issues in modern linguistics. Students also study in depth one or more Asian/African languages.
- Students receive practical skills in one or more Asian/African language, and the ability to define clearly the goals and objectives of research. Additionally, they receive a substantial theoretical background for future linguistic research. During the training, they become familiar with present-day concepts of linguistics and its fundamental issues, and major academic literature. They acquire an understanding of the laws that operate in a particular language. Also, they receive knowledge of: the integrated application of general linguistics methods to describe Asian/African languages and define their kinship; and the principles of constructing their genealogical classification and word etymology.
- While training, students master: the ability to analyse critically and independently the data obtained during the research; and the skills of preparing their research findings for publication in Russian and foreign periodicals.
- The programme is designed to develop in students a scientific horizon that makes it possible to: perceive and interpret scientific ideas in various fields of humanitarian research; instil professional skills of scientific inquiries and research; develop the ability to use efficiently the achievements of modern science; work in a research team; and use the knowledge obtained to solve theoretical and applied tasks.
Main areas of research
- Asian and African languages
- The sphere of interaction with Asian/African countries and peoples
- Russian, regional and international organisations interacting with Asian/African countries and peoples
- Teacher of additional education for children and adults
- Teacher of professional training, vocational education, and lifelong professional education and training
- Expert in education
- Museum curator
- Specialist in organisational and document support for corporate management
- Media correspondent
- Media editor