International Trading System
38.04.01 In english
Level of education Master
Type of instruction Full-time
Duration 2 years
- The master’s programme ‘International Trading System (in English)’ is a dynamic programme that provides fundamental knowledge and reflects the major changes in the modern world economic system. An international learning environment, convenient class schedules, opportunities for internships in international economic organisations and national governing bodies, lectures by leading Russian and foreign professors, and a personalised approach create a supportive learning environment.
- The programme is taught entirely in English. Based on an interdisciplinary approach, the programme trains experts in: international economic relations; international trade and international trade law; development and implementation of government trade policy; and development of enterprise foreign economic strategy.
- Graduates are equally successful in their careers in both the civil service and business and hold leading positions in major Russian and foreign companies. Some graduates work in international economic organisations. The programme combines research and practice.
- The knowledge acquired makes it possible to: carry out analytical and expert work; be engaged in trade policy formulation and tax planning; and develop external relations for companies.
- Commercial Diplomacy
- Theory and Practice of International Economic Relations
- Legal Aspects of International Trade Regulation
- Theories of International Relations and Foreign Policy Analysis
- The programme is developed with the support of the Centre for Trade Policy and Law in Ottawa (CTPL) and the Canadian International Development Agency. Currently, the programme is being implemented with the support of: The World Trade Organization (WTO); The United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD); and several other international economic organisations.
- The programme is designed for students interested in learning about the functioning of the international trading system and effective trade policy. Particular attention is paid to the study of WTO activities and key current trends in the development of world economic relations.
- In the training process, active teaching methods are used: business games; small group work; and case studies. Teaching is provided by: leading experts from St Petersburg University; representatives of international economic organisations; and professors from national and foreign partner universities.
Main areas of research
- Various issues of global governance development
- Trade policies of individual countries and integration groupings
- Domestic market protection measures
- Trade and investment relations of individual countries and integration groupings
- Development of certain industries in the context of global competition
- International trade disputes
- International monetary and financial relations
- Students have the opportunity to do research and practical training at: international economic organisations based in Geneva; trade missions of the Russian Federation abroad; and the Ministry of Economic Development of the Russian Federation. Master’s students have priority access to international academic programmes run by UNCTAD Virtual Institute member institutions. Students are also involved in research activities of the Department of World Economy at St Petersburg University.
- Graduates of the programme have excellent opportunities to work in both governmental and commercial organisations and hold leading positions in large Russian and foreign companies. Some graduates work in international economic organisations.
- Graduates of the programme carry out analytical and expert work; are engaged in trade policy formulation and tax planning; and develop external relations for companies.